Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dirt and urban frame sizing?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ebfreerider510 
#1 ·
Hi,

How should one size a dirt/urban type frame if they're used to a dual suspension bike, and grew up before BMX bikes? I noticed I hit my knees on stem on "regular" STP, and large has pretty much the same top tube and 1/4 inch shorter wheelbase than my Med. Enduro which is perfect for me. Am I wrong to get this type of bike in same size?

Thank you for any expert opinions.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
pntbutta said:
Most guys that grew up on 20's are just more comfy on the shorter frames. I grew up on 20's but I actually ride a long p2(got a deal on it). I thought I hated it but as my muscles get accustomed to it, I love the hell out of it. Just ride a few around and see what feels the best. You'll get used to it. Fyi. If you do a lot of lip tricks and tight tech stuff the smaller frames will be more manuverable, but the longer frames are more stable and forgiving. Just my thoughts.
LOL: "do a lot of lip tricks and tight tech"... I'm days from 46th b-day with a knee wearing out. The purchase is really about a tough bike to fool around on that's more fun to pedal in town than my 5 inch dualie. It will even have to do some time pulling the Burley with kids if I take it to the cottage etc... It's replacing a racer hard tail with wimpy SID fork that was no good for the city play areas and an abandoned quarry. Upon selling that bike it also means this will also be my trail bike when my wife (same height) rides the Spec. Enduro.

I hear and understand the idea of short frame for urban, but I don't know how to train myself to not whack knees into back of the stem.

Now on to reprogramming my brain for other things like using toe clips' and cleats since getting a "British Racer" in 1972!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
jsigone said:
The top tube of the STP on the large is about 1" longer then the regular. Same for the Trek Bruiser. U can try the smaller frame but get a long er stem, I believe both bikes come with a 60mm stem. I'm 6'2 and got the 14.5" bruiser 1, I hit my knees going up hills so I"m goin to get the longer stem, I didn't want bigger bike to throw around.
The problem was hitting the back of the stem with knee cap much more easily that hitting the bars, so it seems like the problem was top tube before stem length.

I see the L STP top tube length is between the two Bruiser sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.