Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Paul B said:
Dude...the VISITORS READ HERE FIRST thread. Or search the forum. We've covered this extensively, tons of maps. I MEAN TONS OF MAPS. Mine, Clockwork, I think at least one other poster.
And if that doesn't work, just follow the empty Mountain Dew bottles...

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
skinny-tire said:
And if that doesn't work, just follow the empty Mountain Dew bottles...
:lol: that would be cans but those stay in the truck .

Anyways here are my dirrections

From the valley head thru superior to globe. Once into globe make a right onto rusell First stop light after walmart , follow that for about 1/3rd of a mile and turn right on rusell again , just after the road makes a 90 degree bend to the left.

Follow that and brown pinal mt signs to fs rd junction 651 turn right and head up the mountain. This will be a nice big T intersection with a dirt lot area on the left.

Once to sulphide del ray continue on 651 which will take you to the left and then around the back of the mountain . At the next available FS rd stay on 651 by turning left. Follow that to the top camp grounds

On the way up you will pass the signs for both kellner canyon and icehouse before reaching campgrounds

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Takes anywhere from 30min to an hr depending on driver and how many people get sick on the way up.On average it takes most 40min. Once the driver/s find the smooth line time can be cut down but that takes getting to know the road as one would the trails. Otherwise riders/bike will be in for a jarring ride.

Anyways road is in the best shape in years. My average speed the last few times was around 20mph. In the early season it was 10-13max and rough at that pace.

You going up tomorrow?

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Na it won't be too bad I have been up there well over 10 times this year already and it has been bearable and getting better now that the clouds are building in the early afternoon.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Ha...you know what? I mostly do the retarded ride up/down thing (mostly as in "back when I was doing this regularly a couple years ago") so that's what I think of reflexively when I think of Globe. Blown out and delirious from the climb, and then it's midafternoon whenwe finally hit Check Dam and the sun decides to make an example of me.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
yeah the checkdam section can kill someone in the summer heat especially if a fast 5min storm dumps some rain then the humidity goes thru the roof.

Done the ride/hike up bit a few times and during this time of year its the worst for that .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.