Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm building up a Van Dessel Primo Ballerino frame with parts taken off my old fat bike. I wanted to continue to use the 2x10 drivetrain with SRAM X7 front derailleur. I purchased the Origin8 direct mount adapter with 85mm offset; however, it doesn't locate the front derailleur far enough outward. I have made things work by moving all the BB spacers to the non-drive side and then putting the derailleur limit screws at their max. But it seems janky to have the crankset off-center like this. I think that if I could use a longer extension on the direct mount adapter it would solve this, but my internet searching is not turning up any adapter extensions or write ups about how to address this. Does the mtbr community have any ideas on how to locate my front derailleur further outward? Thanks.
Links to photo of current setup

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've come across that Moonlander Problem Solver a lot while surfing the net. Honestly I can't tell, but from the pictures it looks like about the same as the Origin8 one.
I'm kind of feeling like everything is working as intended right now. The crank set is offset to the non drive side by ~2.5mm and I doubt I'll ever notice that. It's just when I first did it this morning that I though the BB looked goofy with all the spacers on one side. But the shifting on the stand seems quite good so I should not complain.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case in helps anyone else stumbling upon this thread, I found an Ali Express listing for a high top mount front derailleur adapter with extension for fat bikes. I did not buy it and make no claim to its authenticity! But knowing that this seems to be a hard to find item for the dwindling front derailleur community, I thought I would share it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the bike out this weekend. Shifting works great, I won't worry about the little offset that no one will know about unless I point it out. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts