Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a bike from direct buy...the club! I was wondering... my mother swears that they have bikes at ridculous prices...just courious before I go with her over to this club office:eekster:

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Never heard of it until now. Their web site looks pretty dodgy though. No real info on the membership fees and other charges, and not much on what they actually sell. There's a lot of consumer sites that say this is a shady operation, and that you'll lose more money than you'll save.

Plus, I'd be very surprised if they had anything better than Wal-mart-level Pacific bikes.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Direct Buy was for home furnishings only. I don't know if they have expanded into sports equipment. I would avoid them at all cost. With DB you can save a LOT of money if you are building a very large and nicely equipped house. For the average american, DB's prices are much higher than what you would find at most brick and mortar stores. If you visit one of the showrooms be prepared for very aggressive sales tactics. Many visitors have reported that if they declined to be a member, the sales rep said they would never be allowed back into the store again.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Don't Do it

DirectBuy may be worth it in the case you are building or furnishing an entire house. Their scam is something like this, you have to pay like $6000 to join, and then you get the discounts. All items will be shipped to a local warehouse and you will be responsible getting the items from there to your home. If you go for their free demo, seminar or whatever they call it, you will be forced to decide that day to join. If you decline you will forever be banned from DirectBuy (talk about high pressure).

Search google for DirectBuy and there are some forums that talk about it. I have a friend that signed up and she has bought some stuff through them, but I don't think she has made her $6000 back in savings yet.

Definitely don't think you would save that much on bikes. Bikes only have a 30-35% mark up in the first place. Shops make most of their money off repairs and accessories.

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
I walk or ride by one of their offices every day during my lunchtime biking or walking exercise time. I was wondering about them.
I definitely get an odd(bad?) "vibe" from the place and the BEST I see people going in or coming out with is bewildered expresssions.

Thanks for explaining it so I don't have to stumble in some lunch time and discover I can't get out again or something!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.