Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two new family members. One needs a bike rack. I have had Yakima roof racks for the last 20 plus years. However, I am leaning towards a Thule T2 hitch rack for the Element. Any suggestions or thoughts? My main issue with the roof rack is I don't want to lift the bikes up there. The Element is fairly tall.

What do other AZ Element owners have?

Attachments

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Dirdir said:
I have two new family members. One needs a bike rack. I have had Yakima roof racks for the last 20 plus years. However, I am leaning towards a Thule T2 hitch rack for the Element. Any suggestions or thoughts? My main issue with the roof rack is I don't want to lift the bikes up there. The Element is fairly tall.

Oh, Dear Lord.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Dirdir said:

I suggest a large rainbow sticker on the rear window.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
i've used the Thule, and currently have the very comparable Yakima Holdup.

both are very easy to load\unload. mounting to your hitch and off is 2-3 minutes a time. You still get some drag with the bikes loaded, but when unloaded i don't notice any drag. Roof racks do hurt your mileage. I think the Thule also folds down, which is nice, the Yakima does not. Thule is a little cheaper, the version I used however was a tad lass convenient for the rear wheel straps than the Yakima.

www.agees.com has killer online prices.

i got the Hold Up + 2 hitches mounted to my 2 small cars for $700 in May, and I believe I have paid it off already in not using my truck. Consider that you can easily move it from car to car when you pick a size, or maybe buy an adapter to go 1.25 to 2 (or vice versa).

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yetisurly said:
Oh, Dear Lord.
skinny-tire said:
I suggest a large rainbow sticker on the rear window.
These types of un-helpful and off topic responses are the main reason why I now barely post here.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
As long as you have hitch, the T2 rocks. Also it is more aerodynamic than a roof rack (I am guessing) since the bikes are being shielded by the vehicle. On top you are going to lose some gas mileage for sure just for having the rack up there. Start hauling around bikes and the mileage gets worse.

I have the T2 on my Jeep and it is great. I can tell no difference in MPG with it or without it. I have a roof rack on my car, and it is great too, but it kills my 35 MPG.

I say if it was a Honda Civic, obvious candidate for the roof rack. Since it is an SUV, go with the T2. You will not regret it.

Also for two bikes, the T2 is the least expensive choice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My wife got an Element within the last year. I was able to purchase a 2" hitch off of Ebay for $60 +S&H. They were a Phx company so if you need to go this route you could probably avoid the S&H with a local pickup. Easy to install.
We've got a 10+ year old Yakima Hitch rack and with some new staps added it's been working great and easily holding 3 heavy bikes and the occasional kiddie trailer. We do have clearance issues with the tailgate but the newer racks largely would avoid this.
The hitch rack is much easier to use and allows my wife to hoist the bikes up without difficulty.
Cheers,
MK

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My 'Excrement' has a 1 1/4" hitch, and I've got something like the Yakima Bighorn. I'm not a big fan of it, because the bikes sway a lot. In order to get hatchback open more than about 5 inches, I've gotta swing the arm down or take the rack off.

I'm thinking the 'tires-in-tray' type of hitch mount rack is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Dirdir said:
These types of un-helpful and off topic responses are the main reason why I now barely post here.
So, if I would have suggested you get the new pooch a sweater, we might have never heard from you?

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
T2 is fantastic. . . Thule gets you though with additional locks and such. The clamp for the wheel is great, but to lock it properly downy you need a special Thule Lock 25 bucks or so, then to secure or lock the bolt that goes through the hitch you have to buy a different bolt and lock system. . . Of course there are probably ways around it, but having those additions gives me a piece of mind when Im leaving my bikes on the car. Where is the spare tire on the Element? If it's on the door folding the rack up could be an issue.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
T2

Love my T2. Very durable. Take note that the 1.25" model is not rated for the T2 add-on, which converts it to a 4 bike rack. You can get a lock pin at uhual for cheap as well.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
element owner to the rescue

lots of nincompoops here...:D

i built a platform (didn't want to drill the car floor) and put one of those clamps for the fork. works great and i can go anywhere b4 or after a ride and not worry about my bike getting ripped off.

it looks something like-a this:

Attachments

·
Something goes here...
2,015 Posts
Why do you need a rack if you only road ride outside your front door?

·
A plethora of pinatas
1,260 Posts
Nice Element, Dirdir! We mostly put the bikes inside our Element, but if we need more internal space we do this...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Softride Versa

I have a Mazda 3 and use the softride versa hitch rack. It's similar in design to the Thule rack but you can only carry two bikes, no adapter for 4. The rack isn't bulky or super heavy and it comes with a lock already. It's easy to use.

The only downside is that if you are carrying tallish bikes you may want to use another tie down strap of some kind through the top tubes because the bikes tend to lean. They aren't going any where, but I guess I'm just picky. Other than that, I'm really happy with the rack.

Here's a pic of the rack in use.

Attachments

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
su.ling~ said:
Voilà!!!

One of your new family member now has a new rack!

...your welcome...;)
Brought tears to my eyes. This picture brought me such joy, I finally forgave Walt...again...for the 12th time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts