Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a friend and I were in the same team on the 24 hours of Summer Solstice race over the weekend @ Albion Hills in Ontario. We shared a set of Dinotte lights which I've reviewed here before and really like. The lights themselves were perfect, as usual, but we both had the same problem with the battery pack on the bar light.

Namely: it fell off and disappeared. It happened to Scott about 16km into his (17km) lap - suddenly the bar light went out and the battery pack was gone. It was raining and filthy muddy, and he was racing, so not about to go grubbing about for it.

Luckily I had a spare battery pack so was able to replace it for my lap, but about halfway through the lap I stopped to get a drink and looked down to see that the bar light was out and the battery pack was gone. I finished the rest of the lap (about 8km) on headlamp alone.

In both cases, the velcro flap that holds the battery pack in had come undone. Once that happens, the battery pack just flops out and disengages from the light's power cord.

Weather was shitty, rain and mud, when it happened, but it seems like a bit of a design flaw to me. I'll never trust the velcro again.

Does anyone have any fixes for this. Have Dinotte seen this before and/or changed the design? Seems like a pop stud would be much more secure, or a pouch which prevented the battery pack from falling out when the velcro came undone.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the square battery pack w/ rechargeables.

They are cheap as all get out... $4 for the battery pack and $12 for the batteries from the hardware store, but it's a pig to have it happen in the middle of a race.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have never seen in person the AA model but for the Li-ion is impossible to happen in my experience (drops, rocky terrain).... as strong as the first minute there:thumbsup:

·
Registered
408 Posts
As a user of both the 200L and 140L AA versions I have to say that while the light heads are absolutely fantastic, the battery magazine is a crap. The following things usually happen during my road rides, in no particular order:
- the connector on the cable disengages itself from the magazine
- any of the 4 AA batteries come loose and break the circuit
- the strap loosens and the whole pack is dropped on the ground (sometimes the connector is strong enough to hold the pack, but it is still funny seeing the pack dangling around...)
For some reason I usually have less problems with the rear light, but it is more dangerous, because it's hard to realize that you no longer have back light.
I'd thought about ducktaping the whole thing around but then how do I charge the batteries?

So IMHO the AA pack is a pain in the *ss and I strongly recommend against it, unless you have very specific reasons for it. One such reason being... yes, the price.
The LiIon version works flawlessly though and has no such problems. So I'm now thinking about trashing the 200L and use the 600L for commuting (even though it is a bit of an overkill), but the 200L is such a nice unit that I can't get myself to sell it. Maybe I'll upgrade to LiIon before winter comes...

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Pinkheadbug said;

In both cases, the velcro flap that holds the battery pack in had come undone. Once that happens, the battery pack just flops out and disengages from the light's power cord.
Interesting...I've never noticed this before but you're right. I've not used mine enough to have had any problems but I can easily see how this could be a problem on longer rides and races. A quick fix would be to get some more velcro and wrap the whole bag ( length wise ). That should keep the battery from flopping out. I too had initial problems with the connectors coming loose but learned how to position it so the cord wasn't as stressed which helped a lot. Now about what Radirpok said about the whole thing coming loose; Yeah, I could see that happening too. Once again, more velcro, this time around the bar and the pack. Personally I've never had mine flop around that much but then most of my rides are pretty short. Anyway, if you use more Velcro that should help but it will take longer to switch batteries out. Just put a dab of whiteout at the end of the velcro to help you see where the end is. That should help you take it apart quicker. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
We've had a few years on the DiNottes, and the velcro on the AA packs has been an issue since day one - if you ride bar mounted on bumpy stuff, especially rigid. Our solution was to run an extra velcro strap around both the stem and pack, tucking the flap under the strap, and snugging it tight. No issues since then. I think I even mentioned it on my review in 2005. The extra strap also solved the connector issue - we had momentary loss of connection when the battery pack was bouncing around in the pouch.

Like Radirpok said, the Li-ion powered versions are much nicer in this area. But there are good reasons for running cheap easy to get AA's...

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll look at that solution. I also think a plain, fat, rubber band around the nylon holder, lengthwise, would do the trick. I really like using rechargeable AAs -- so cheap and light.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I just make sure that the strap wraps around the whole bag: so its opening is facing the stem or helmet. If I have it the other way around, with the velcro strap just running through the bag's loop and then around the bar it will come off very quickly.

Tim

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the same light.

Mine is new and I haven't had that problem yet. When I do, I will make some innertube rubber bands to wrap around the battery pack. It's amazing what can be done with innertube rubber, it will even replace Dinotte O rings in a pinch. It think it is less messy and more reliable than duct tape, or even some home made velcro straps I have seen.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
denmikseb said:
Mine is new and I haven't had that problem yet. When I do, I will make some innertube rubber bands to wrap around the battery pack. It's amazing what can be done with innertube rubber, it will even replace Dinotte O rings in a pinch. It think it is less messy and more reliable than duct tape, or even some home made velcro straps I have seen.
Great idea. Thank you.

·
Viva Las Peli Taco
251 Posts
I changed mine to the helmet light with a an 8AA battery holder from radio shack. So far so good. I just place the battery pack in a zip lock bag and stuff it into my jersey.

My tail light, I use the velcro set-up. I ride from home to the trail, then the trail and home again with no issues. It may be because I cut a pice of innertube into a 1/4 to 1/2" thick rubber band. I place the rubberband around the 9v connector and the battery. It seems to provide just enough grip to keep the battery in the case regardless of how hard I ride.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at the same race. I had a 200L on the bars and the 600L on my head. The 200L worked flawlessly and never fell of the stem. The velcro held fine and there was no sign of it failing.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Varroa said:
I was at the same race. I had a 200L on the bars and the 600L on my head. The 200L worked flawlessly and never fell of the stem. The velcro held fine and there was no sign of it failing.
I'm curious? why not the other way around?

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
denmikseb said:

I thought the innertube rubber idea was good so I decided to check it out. The piece I used was about an inch wide. You have to take the velcro bar strap off to put it on but it works. I do see a couple problems though. First, when switching out battery packs you will have to take the bag off the bars if you don't want to waste time. Try it with the bag on the bars and you will see what I mean. Even if you get the pack out and put a new one in you will have to realign the rubber band. That is real hard to do with the bag still attached to the bars. Another point is that tube rubber can get old and tear or just break. None of these things are big issues though. Carry an extra piece of rubber tube and practice at putting in the battery. For us non-race people the rubber tube idea is a no-brainer...simple and cheap. Still, itsdoable's idea of wrapping velcro around the bar and bag seems to kill two birds with one stone...it keeps the bag from flopping around and keeps the battery flap from opening. It is also much faster to mess with ( ..if you're racing that is. )

·
Registered
14 Posts
BBW said:
I'm curious? why not the other way around?
I like to be able to point my brightest light where I am looking. The trails in albion hills are full of switchbacks the go both uphill and downhill. If my brightest light was only facing the direction of my bars then 1/2 the time it wouldn't be facing the trails ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.