Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dinotte AA or LiON

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GEOMAN 
#1 ·
So I am about to buy another light, I already have a Dinotte that I want to get upgraded. I was just going to get another AA light, but am torn since I can get a lion version and upgrade mine to lion for free.

The obvious advantage of the lithium version is the 6-12 burn times versus the 1.5-3 for the AA.

But I have grown to like the AA since I already have extra AA rechargables, so I can replace the batteries on longer rides as needed. It certainly isn't as convenient as one longer running battery. But in a pinch even a stop at a store for some off the shelf AA's and I can always have light.

Plus I do save $100 with the AA version.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
The Li-ion is attractive... but so is using a pile of cheap rechargeable AAs that you already own. I'm probably going to get another AA powered 200L to go with my AA powered Ultra 5. I use mine for street riding and I'm never out long enough to use up a set of AAs.

I'd say stick with AAs unless you know you're going for rides long enough to require the Li-ion's burn time.

#4 ·
It really depends on your needs. They call the Li-Ion the Endurance series. If you need the longer burn times without the hassles of changing out AAs (solo endurance events, brevets, etc), get the Li-Ion. If you don't need the longer burn times, just get the less expensive AA option.

#5 ·
Yea I went ahead and ordered the AA version. While I would like to think I will get into some endurance riding, that part of my life is still a few years away. For now the AA burn times usually are enough and I can easily carry one extra set.

-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.