Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my ZTR Olympics can't take a few little drops, at least I found this ding the rear rim after my ride yesterday (see attached pics). The tire is fine, no flats or anything, I must have ridden for an hour before I noticed it. Is this fixable by doing something like this?

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-5-32-13285-1,00.html

The alternative is a new rim I suppose and I just don't feel like spending the money right now :(

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've had the opinion that Olympics were race-only rims.

The aluminum alloy in the rims is hard enough that when it is dented/bent it forms a weak spot.

You might be able to bend it back out to round, but it will still have the weak spot and will be even more likely to bend/break the next time.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
+1

The olympic is a XC race rim, you can have a go with an adjustable spanner just don't expect perfection (or the flat spot to go away)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's a strange rim choice for an AM rig (Scott Ransom, bought it used 3 weeks ago). I'm going to try bending it back, but plan for a rim purchase in the future. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a DT swiss 5.1D rim with the same issue. I took a set of channel locks with a long handle so that torque was on my side. Real easy and got it back to 100% within minutes haven't had an issue. Now as far at the ZTR not sure.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yep, the danger in bending back is that it could crack or totally break off the rest of the rim. If it still holds a tire then I would leave it. If it won't hold a tire then there is nothing to lose in trying to bend it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.