Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Was cleaning up my bike lastnight and noticed I have a ding/scratch in my fox 36 stanchion (kashima coated). It's about 2mm long, 1mm wide. It's not too deep (I doesn't penetrate the coating all the way through). I don't feel any burr with my finger but my finger nail does catch when I run it over the dent.

I called fox this morning and when I asked if there was any thing I could do he literally said, "I have no idea, check the internet"....

I've watched a few youtube videos, showing how to clean it up using either fine grit sand paper or a razor blade, and then filling it with either nail polish, super glue or enamel paint.

I'm a bit nervous taking a razor blade or sand paper to my fork, and applying a filler, so I was just seeing if any of you had any tips or experience to share.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
So is the stanchion tube deformed? As in is it a real dent, or just a scratch??

If it's an actual dent where you can see the sidewall inside the stanchion is deformed, then you're probably looking at a new CSU.

If it's a scratch that hasn't deformed anything, you should be ok: Just lightly cleaned up the sharp edges with sandpaper until it's smooth to the touch. That's about it. There isn't a lot of oil in the fork so you're not going to be leaking everywhere. The point is you don't want the edges of the scratches tearing up the dust wipers and bushings.

I have a nick on my Fox 36 where I can see the bare aluminum under the kashima. I forget it's even there. No changes in how it works. I didn't bother with filler.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Christopher Robin. Sorry.. bad description. Its a scratch, or a "ding" in the stanchion.. not a dent. My best guess is a rock flew up on the highway while I was transporting the bike. (I drive a toyota camry, and parts of the bike extend past the sides of the car). I should of taken a picture, but its similar to if you got a ding in your windshield from a rock.

Ok, I'll very carefully clean up the sharp edges. You don't worry about the scratch pulling in dirt and sending it into your lowers?

I know I'm overthinking this, I'm more pissed than anything cause the bike is rather new.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I did this about 4 years and 5000 miles ago. You can easily feel the damage with a finger or running a nail along it- it's fairly deep. I shaved off some bits that were sticking up with a razor blade, and that's it. It's had no impact on fork function or seal lifespan.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle accessory Bicycle part

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scottzg, ouch... yeah that's way worse than my situation. Thank you for posting that though, I'm glad that didn't impact function, and I guess I shouldn't worry.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've had a few dings/scratches on various forks over the years which have not caused any issues. I just 'dress' up any burrs or sharp edges and keep going. I've chosen to use fine scotchbrite pad vs sandpaper.

To me a dent means the metal is physically deformed beyond it's original dimensions which is totally different from dings and scratches. Depending on size a dent could affect seals and structural condition of fork.

·
826 Posts
I've chosen to use fine scotchbrite pad vs sandpaper.
Listen to this man. If it's really buggered up badly, you can use some FINE emery cloth followed by a Scotchbrite polish. I use Scotchbrite almost daily to fix damaged metal surfaces.

The "scratch" as you described it is really small and shallow. Your goal is to make sure there are no sharp edges to slice your seals, but don't get too worked up about it. Worst case scenario, you loose two drops of oil on every ride. You'll still have plenty of oil in there between service intervals.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. Appreciate your help.

Sturge, rustyiron, when googling "scotchbrite pad" it seems there are several types. Can you tell me what kind you'd recommend? What about this emery cloth? (sorry, I don't do a lot of sanding/polishing in my day to day life).

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can buy emery cloth sandpaper up to 2000 grit which is for polishing.

If there is any raised burrs that can catch your finger nail, you can probably start with 800 grit with a couple drops of oil on a small 1" flat block of wood and wet sand it "gently" until it no longer catches your fingernails. Then switch to 1000 grit and finally 2000 grit and repeat.

If you want it even smoother, you can polish it with some Fitz metal polishing compound. You'd probably want to tape off above the wipers so any slurry with the shavings etc can't accidentally get in there. You'll most likely rub off the gold treatment in the areas you're polishing but then again, it's either a scratches and possibly worn seals or cosmetic looks.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I think y'all are gonna do more harm than good with your files and abrasives.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The little file worked well for me. Just need to remember a file works in 1 direction only and a light touch is all it takes. You aren't looking to make it perfect in one stroke, think 20 and be gentle. That way is there is a misplaced stroke of the file it's not an issue.

Prior to filing the ding was sharp & pointy. After filing it's unnoticeable by touch, which is what you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.