Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!

i have a rather peculiar question :)

can anyone tell me what are the dimension of the box which jenson uses to ship yeti asr carbon (whole bike, small size)? i need this numbers to calculate shipping costs. i've mailed jenson, but they didn't respond. calling them is not an option because i'm from croatia, and that would cost me alot.

thanks for your help,

zlatko

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
I recommend you call them using skype to be certain

However, AFAIK, yeti won't allow a dealer to ship to you directly (i guess U know that, therefore you are calculating the costs on your own)

If you are shipping it to a friend to forward it to you, your friend might able to repack or reduce the volume of the packages

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know yeti prohibits usa dealers to ship bikes and frames outside usa.

my plan is to use a package forwarding service (shipito is a good example). i doubt people who work there wil be willing to repack my bike.

before i start this adventure i must be sure that shipping won't cost me 2.000$ or something ridicoulus like that. usual bike boxes dimensions are something like 50 x 30 x 10 inches, which would be fine, but i'm afraid yeti will need a bigger box because of it's integrated seatpost.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
I would assume if you were getting it, it would come in 2 boxes. One box for the framset and a second box for all the parts (wheels, grouppo, finishing kit).

With an integrated seatmast, it would be frame only.

I have shipped complete bikes to Germany via UPS, it was around $450 to $500 USD. Dont know if it would be any cheaper having them ship over international via USPS though.

There is a dealer in Slovenia, many in Germany and Italy that might be a better option though

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
yetirich said:
I have shipped complete bikes to Germany via UPS, it was around $450 to $500 USD. Dont know if it would be any cheaper having them ship over international via USPS though.
It can be done for less (done it a couple of times already ;) ), but it usually involves taking the front and rear triangle apart, as well as some "clever packing".

And yeah, USPS is cheaper, but can have a limit for insurance in certain services (500 USD per package for Express Mail to Germany, for example; but a much higher limit with Express Guaranteed)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yetirich said:
There is a dealer in Slovenia, many in Germany and Italy that might be a better option though
i'm aware of european dealers but prices are astronomical (frame only would cost me more than 4000$).

i plan using shipito.com, and their shipping calculator says that shipping of a 50 x 30 x 10 inch box by fedex would cost me 350$, which is acceptable to me. so, i'm interested if yeti from jenson comes in such a box, or a bigger one.

·
Registered
219 Posts
One of my friends just bought a used bike from a shop in Canada and I think he said shipping to Las Vegas was about $50.00 and it came in 2 boxes

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got my medium 575 frame from Jenson sent to a mate in Seattle, it was to big for USPS so he ended up having to go into his lbs to get it repacked before he could foward it on to me in Aus. Ended up using Fedex which worked out about the same price as USPS but with up to date tracking details and no dramas with customs or the numpties at Aus Post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jenson answered... box dimensions are 121cm X 73cm X 28cm.

now, the other question. i don't know which frame size to pick.
i'm 174cm tall (5 feet 8 1/2 inches). small sized frame (568mm ett) is a bit too small, medium sized (594 mm ett) is a bit too big. do i choose smaller and put a longer stem, or the other way around?

thanks,
zlatko

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
My medium frame arrived in a 48" x 25" x 8.5" box-- Rather large. And they spec'd the shipping weight at 15 lbs. The frame was zipped tied to flat piece of carboard to center it in the box. Not the normal frame shipping I have seen but it worked.

I didn't care because I took their slow free shipping offer which actually only took 4 days.

As far as your height goes. What is the effective TT on what you ride now? Are you a long armed or long torso person? That should determine it. If you like climbing, get the larger size, if you like descending....

...no wait a better way to look at it is, if you want to suffer less in the climbing position get the larger frame. if you want to be less scared descending, get the smaller frame.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ride 571mm + 90mm stem, so overall 661mm, and i always fell a few mm longer bike would suit me better.

so 568mm yeti with a 105 mm stem would be 673mm long, and i believe that'll suit me great.

thanks for your help guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.