Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the season finally started for me, went out 3 times last week two of which were normal short 1hr lunch time rides (20 minutes of travel on bike out of the hour) and definitely feeling the itch to build a new bike.
Now normally I commute on my 2009 Kona Jake that have done a few upgrades too (newer tape, On-One Midge bars, TRP CX-8.4 brakes with salmon pads) and my commute is only 2.5 miles one way. My normal mountain ride is my 2011 On-One Inbred 29er Steel hardtail that I have done the following too..
- 2011 Manitou Tower Pro 100mm 9QR with FIRM spring upgrade (incredible budget fork)
- Custom built Stans Flows laced to Shimano M529 hubs front/back
- Shimano Centerlock 140mm discs
- Sram BB7 calipers and levers
- RaceFace 70mm stem
- Giant Flatbar 760mm
- Lizardskin Peatty lock-on grips
- Easton Haven post
- Charge Spoon saddle (best saddle for the money I think)
- X9 shifters and Rear Derailleur
- Jagwire teflon cables
- Shimano XT Front derailleur and Crank (3ring modified to 2 with BBG bash)
- Sram 9spd cassette (991 which is the X9 version)
- Running on GEAX Gato 2.3" (f) and GEAX Saguaro 2.2" (r)
So I love this bike but as I get old and ride more technical and rocky terrain I find myself wishing for some rear suspension in there to help the back out. I do get bounced around quite a bit because our terrain is pretty rock with very little plain loose over hard or hardpack trail (unless you are on the fireroads). This is my downhill bomber, xc race machine, and do all bike and does not cease to amaze me and put a smile on my face even at 28ish#.
It looks like I might have the ability to do one of two things this year, either go for a new suspension (thinking 2” OME or HFS) or build up a new bike, basically there is a chance I may have $1500ish to play with for what I want!!!! So should I sell the Jake, convert the Inbred into a commuter/monstercross and build another FS or should I go for the suspension for the BeBe? I can tell you that most of the stuff in my price range, >$2000, is not going to get me a whole lot so I am going to want to switch stuff out right away pretty much but I can probable get away with riding the stock bike for a season.
So far I am looking at (internet only);
- Giant Anthem X3
- Scott Spark 960
- Felt Edict Nine 60
- Salsa Spearfish 4
Remember this will mostly be an xc bike so I don’t need a whole lot of travel, 120mm max, but would like to stay with 100mm. The other option is that I could sell the Jake, leave the Inbred in mtb mode and still use as a commuter and slowly build up the fully like I did with my Inbred over the next 8mo-12mo….

So anyone got recommendations? Being close to Lake Tahoe I have a good number of shops near me so I can try out just about anything. And I got a bad taste in my mouth by Specialized a couple years back so not going that route, not going to give them my money.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Both JensonUsa and Pricepoint have leftover Niner Jet 9's on sale. How about picking up a frame and swapping everything over from the OnOne since you already have that stuff dialed?

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Dilema.... doing research to start

Yeah I was thinking about that as well, a possibility if nothing else to keep costs low but stuff like the crank and headset would need to be replaced due to possible incompatibilities (1 1/8th steer older XT crank).
If you have a 1 1/8" steerer you would need a new fork too.

I just picked up a "custom pro" X7 build from Price Point. I bought a ROS 9 but the concept is the same for all the Niners. They come with fairly basic components, but you can upgrade for the difference in price between what comes on there and the new part. The base price is really reasonable.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe there are adapter headsets that will allow for a 1 1/8th steer fork to be used in a frame that has a tapered steerer. Not the best or most elegant solution but would be a cost savings in the beginning.

Don't ask me why, because really I dont know, but I am not a big fan of the Niner fs bikes for some reason. Never ridden one and have seen a couple up close (touched them) but just something doesnt strike me as appealing in them.

Ultimately I would love to build another bike from the ground up with a decent frame and then build the rest via my parts bin and used components/super-deals. The HammerHead Bikes "Thumper/130x" seems like a nice build but I have never ridden anything more than 100mm of travel so I am not sure how much I would like it. However, I plan on remedying that in a couple weeks when I take the Jake and Inbred to my LBS to have them do the once over and while the bikes are there I will "borrow" an Anthem X 29er or Trance X 29er.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I am trying to make this move forward by selling my 2009 Kona Jake locally. I am leaning towards the HH Thumper Trail bike and will go with a 120mm fork up front, build my own wheels using BikeHubStore convertible wheels with either BWW Pure XM/XLR rims or possibly WTB i23s (also contemplating the BWW wheels all together as they are about $50 more than what I could build everything for), mostly SRAM drivetrain, Shimano SLX/Deore brakes and misc other parts for the rest of the build.

But here comes my question, I have been out of bike building and component watching for a number of years (since 2011 when I built my Inbred) and would like to go with a full 10spd drivetrain. I have a lot of climbing where I am (No Nv/NorCal) so would I be better off going with a 3x10 setup or a 2x10 setup? Currently I have a ghetto 2x9 setup and love it, the only real places I find detriment is on downhill stuff when I am going fast and feel I am spinning out due to gearing, this is because I took and dropped the big ring from a standard 3x9 setup leaving me with a 32x22 setup.

With the the above, would I experience the same spinout with a 2x10 in a 39x26ish setup or would I feel like I have better gearing. This bike will mostly be used for XC/Trail riding, I don't huck big ledges or anything like that so bombing some downhill slalom is not going to happen nor do I need stuff for that.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link I knew that there was a calculation tool out there.. Ratios seem pretty close, from my knowledge, for the 2x10 to my 2x9 setup. Going go to have to do some more studying to ensure I am interpreting properly.

What I think I need to look at more is the combo for the crank and combo for the cassette to see what would best suit me. Just randomly looking around I know that I saw a 40x29 (or something like that) as a 2x10 setup... That just seems ridiculous to me and way to tall but I could be wrong.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and I was wrong on the comparison of the cost for building vs. buying from BWW. The hubs that I am looking at from BHS are their new convertible hub style, price runs about $150 for the set and then an extra $20/wheel for the conversion kit.

The equivalent BWW hubs are $299 (D400) plus $30/wheel for the conversion kit. So the BHS hubs would be much cheaper, plus the wheelset comparison with the D400 hubs start at $549 so the price difference for build vs. buy goes out the window.

So, since I like a little funk and color to my bikes (hence the purple Inbred frame) I am going to look at the following.
- BHS MTB270 rear (convertible) 32H
- BHS MTB180 front (convertible) 32H
- Pure XM/XCR Gold rims 32H
- Sapim Double Butted black spokes
- Alloy Purple or Red Nipples
Total cost should run me just at $300 with shipping.

Kitted up I am right around 200lbs (right now at least, once I start riding more I will be more like 190ish) and ride a variety of trail. Not a park person or super downhill guy (though I do only live a few hours away from Downieville) so the most this will see is some All-Mountain/Enduro style riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts