Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been about 5 years since i have done any biking, prior i use to basic trails nothing advanced. Currently I am getting out of the military in a couple months and plan getting back into biking heavily as it has been a passion of mine.

My dilemma is that i will have space for one bike and the bike will be used for commuting and general riding through local parks near me (daily basis) and about 3 times a week (more depending on time available) i will be hitting up some of the cross country trails near me. Normally when i ride it is for long periods of time usually multiple times per day if i can fit it in. I plan on pushing myself as much as i can maybe not to the level of DH/FR but we will see.

The amount of money i am looking on spending is under 1500$ for the bike. Previous bike was a Schwinn with no shocks in case anyone was curious. Current debate is between hardtail or a dual suspension (26). I was able to try out a 29er while i was home for turkey day, still not sure about one, rolls over terrain nice albeit less nimble on the handling it seems.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Personally, I'd go for a stout hardtail (26"). Ideally, something like a Sinister RIdge with a Pike or Lyrik up front :ihih:

That way you can have a bike that will work nicely on the XC trails, but will be able to handle pretty much anything else you throw at it. For your budget you can get a killer build on a good HT frame as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Currently debating between building a bike off the Sinister Ridge frame for a hardtail or a picking up a Dakar XCT 1 or 2 for FS. It is still a tough debate between the two i need something that can be good on the road for long rides as well as take a beating on long XC rides as well as last me for the next few years. Since i only have room for one bike for the next few years it makes the choice a pain.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Not that it means anything but I'm former Army myself. I'll recommend someting similar to the Gary Fisher Cobia or a Raleigh XXIX+G (not sure of its price) or here's a list of bikes posted for another guy.

Are you staying in Ohio when you get out or are you headed elsewhere? Enjoy being short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.