Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've noticed that the VPP system pedals really well, just a little better than my 575. I love my Yeti, but I can tell the pedalling difference in my legs after consecutive days of riding. The only problem is trying to find the sweet spot on the DHX air :madman:. Probably will be switchin to a RC4 as soon as I find a deal on one. Bike setup 08 Nomad w/ lyrik coil 160 uturn (love it) with the DHX air 5.0 10 speed XT shifters/derailures 24/36 chainrings with Stans Flow/Hope pro 2 hub in rear and DT 340/ex up front. Any thoughts on the DHX air or are they just hopeless and just get a RC4. Thanks Santa Cruz did a great job with this bike.:)

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I have ridden my dads 2008 nomad a ton (15 plus rides) and the old DHX 5.0 coil actually works really well on that bike. Just a thought since it would be a cheap option.

The dhx air just sucks in general. I have owned 4 or so of them on different bikes of the years and all have been terrible. The last chance I gave it was on a 2010 nomad which it also sucked on. There are little tricks to try and make it feel better (shims, more oil, etc) but in the end its just not a good shock.

If you wanted to stay with air then check out either the monarch plus or vivid air. both would probably work well with the nomad since its the older style (vpp1) which was fairly progressive.

And to go along with your stoke. I enjoyed the suspension on the nomad 1 way better than the nomad 2. Its probably because im coming from a DH/FR standpoint and the older nomad is more plush IMO.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I won't bad-mouth the RC4, as I haven't owned one, but I would also consider the Vivid coil too. I have an '08 with a 160 Van 36 and an RC2 Vivid. It strikes me that the 1st gen Nomad isn't as shock picky as the 2nd gen, especially with coil shocks. I owned an '06 Nomad too, and this '08 is a warranty replacement. Both bikes worked great with some different coil shocks I tried over the years. The best air shock was a Manitou ISX-6. But for coil shocks, I wouldn't overlook the Vivid on the '08. And yes, the DHX Air has not been a good match to the 1st gen Nomad...along with many other bikes too.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
DHX5 coil worked a treat on my 08 Nomad, the mid stroke support was much better than the standard Float which just feels puny, but still better than the DHX Air...seeing a pattern here?
However, the stand out shock for me has been the Vivid Air. Yes, a little fidly to set up initially, but there's a good thread over at Vital MTB which puts you on the right track. The Vivid A has awesome support, sits into the sag well yet somehow doesn't feel like you're riding a sponge. Another contradiction is that it feels just bottomless, no harshness, yet pedals really well. I have a 180mm Totem air on the front that I now run down at about 35-40PSI and it's a perfect match, I imagine the Lyric would feel pretty good as well.
The ol' Nomad feels totaly revitalised with the Vivid on it, I ride it 90% of the time, it's like a lightweight, easy to pedal V10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts