Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Maxis Ignitor "LUST" 2.1 that I mounted on my wife's bike, her rims are Bonti Race-Lite Tubeless, circa 2006. I just can't get these tires to seat properly so they don't wobble...they hold air fine, they just wobble.

I tried letting all the air out, breaking the bead from the rim and then using the compressor to get the bead to pop in and hold air (about 40psi) and then I used the floor pump to bring it up to 80 psi but they still wobble.

I had this same set of tires mounted on my rims, Mavic XM819 UST (2012 vintage) and had similar problems at first but I finally got them to seat properly and spin straight.

Does anyone have any special tricks to get difficult-to-seat tires to behave?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm going on the assumption that the Bonti rims conform to UST specs ...

I just take a slice of paper towel and wet it with a nice dab of full-strength liquid soap (Mr. Clean, hand soap from a pump, dishwashing soap, or whatever) and wipe down the beads so they are shiny wet. Mount the tire and fill it. The tires beads should slide into place at a significantly lower pressure than trying to mount them dry.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have a pair of Maxis Ignitor "LUST" 2.1 that I mounted on my wife's bike, her rims are Bonti Race-Lite Tubeless, circa 2006. I just can't get these tires to seat properly so they don't wobble...they hold air fine, they just wobble.

I tried letting all the air out, breaking the bead from the rim and then using the compressor to get the bead to pop in and hold air (about 40psi) and then I used the floor pump to bring it up to 80 psi but they still wobble.

I had this same set of tires mounted on my rims, Mavic XM819 UST (2012 vintage) and had similar problems at first but I finally got them to seat properly and spin straight.

Does anyone have any special tricks to get difficult-to-seat tires to behave?
Yup, soapy water on the tire and rim is the trick.
The Race Lite with the TLR rim strip is very tough to seat a tire on otherwise.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y'know, I was thinking of using some Stans sealant to make the bead slikkery but I thought it'd make a mess on the outside of the tire. Dish soap sounds like the ticket, I'll give it a try tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Y'know, I was thinking of using some Stans sealant to make the bead slikkery but I thought it'd make a mess on the outside of the tire. Dish soap sounds like the ticket, I'll give it a try tomorrow!
Make sure you wear those yellow rubber gloves before starting or you risk getting dish pan hands.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You don't want straight soap on the beads; a soapy water solution will do just fine. Don't inflate beyond the maximum inflation pressure for the tire (or rim, if stated). If the bead hasn't fully seated at maximum inflation pressure, you can pull the tire to one side with gloved hands, pulling the unseated bead portion up. You can check to see if the bead is fully seated by spotting the small line on the tire's sidewall just above the bead; it should be concentric and evenly spaced from the rim around the entire circumference. If the bead is fully seated and the tire still wobbles, the tire could have excessive run-out, in which case it would be a warranty issue.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Live and learn...next time I won't try pumping tires up to 80psi (like a spaz!) trying to get the bead to seat. I went out there this morning to find both tires with big bubbles and ready to blow! I suppose I'm lucky they didn't blow or I would have had Stan's sealant splattered all over the garage:eekster:.

Time for new tires as I've effectively destroyed this pair!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts