Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Elixir Cr's and am having difficulty not getting brake rub even when the bike is just on the stand. Any tips or tricks of the trade that would help.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Ran into these issues, not elixers, bb7s and again on my Shimano hydros that just replaced my bb7s with.

First make sure ur skewers are tight, as is when lever is sticking straight in line with the rest of the skewer ks when you should start needing force to close the lever.

Second is the damn cables/hoses and the cps washers. If hoses are new, dont attach them to the frame while centering calipers, they always seem to fight u and caliper ends up not centered. Next is I found which way the cps washers are installed matters. The larger concave? Washers need to be against the caliper, smaller washers that sit inside put against the head of the mounting bolt and caliper mount. Other way around for some reason when u torq the bolts down the friction shifts the washers, and the caliper.

Guessing rotors are true but checking to make sure is t a bad idea.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Magically Delicious
9,872 Posts
From what limited information that you've provided, I think you simply need to do a caliper centering. When dealing with Hydraulic brakes, it won't matter where the lines are when centering, although I'm doubting that you've done any changes there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pads are always rubbing not allowing the wheels to spin freely. Haven't had time to play with them any further to see what else I can do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a set of Elixir Cr's and am having difficulty not getting brake rub even when the bike is just on the stand. Any tips or tricks of the trade that would help.
Here is what works for me on my Avid Hydraulics

Remove the wheel
Remove the pads
Push the pistons back into the caliper using tire levers or large screw driver
Insert pads
Loosen adjustment screws on caliper
Put the wheel back on and tighten skewers with the weight of the bike on the skewers
Slide a business card between the rotor and pad on the side that is rubbing
Without squeezing the brakes, tighten adjustment screws. Once you feel resistance, alternate tightening top and bottom screws a little each time
Set the pads by squeezing the lever with the biusiness card wedged between rotor and Pad.
Once the pads are set, remove the business card
If its still rubbing, try loosening the skewers a little.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Good advice, except I would push the pistons back while pushing on the brake pads.

You don't want to damage them with a sharp instrument/excessive force.

·
Magically Delicious
9,872 Posts
Unclear exactly what problem that you're having in terms of specific rotor contact and noise or rub.

Basically you have two possible problems. A rotor that is not true and/or the rotor is rubbing on one side of the caliper or brake pad.

If rotor is not true, take care of that problem first. If rotor is rubbing consistently, then I would try two things. First ensure that wheel is sitting correctly in drop outs as Linklight defined earlier by loosening the skewers with the weight of bike on it and tighten. This will ensure that the wheel is properly centered in the swingarm then center your caliper.

Loosen the caliper bolts so the caliper can move laterally, then pull the brake lever and while holding brakes firmly, tighten caliper bolts slowly and evenly to center caliper on disc. Might need to do this several times to get it right.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is what works for me on my Avid Hydraulics

Remove the wheel
Remove the pads
Push the pistons back into the caliper using tire levers or large screw driver
Insert pads
Loosen adjustment screws on caliper
Put the wheel back on and tighten skewers with the weight of the bike on the skewers
Slide a business card between the rotor and pad on the side that is rubbing
Without squeezing the brakes, tighten adjustment screws. Once you feel resistance, alternate tightening top and bottom screws a little each time
Set the pads by squeezing the lever with the biusiness card wedged between rotor and Pad.
Once the pads are set, remove the business card
If its still rubbing, try loosening the skewers a little.
linklight this worked great! Thanks so much for the advice guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts