Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All just wanted confirmation on my suspicion that I can use different weight oils for the damper cartridge and splash oil in my Marz XC600's? Was thinking of using a lighter oil for the splash lube to keep everything nice and slippery (redline 5wt). Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If it matters, with some twin chamber forks we've used M1 0-20 for the outers and suspension fluid as applicable for the damper.

The M1 is quite slick and you may need a bit more spring, or if you don't find harshness a few clicks of compression damping, definitely more rebound.

PK

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I agree with PMK. A multiviscosity automotive oil with a super low number on the low end...like "0" or "5"...seems to be the best choice for the bath oil in closed cartridge forks...especially those that use really small amounts of bath oil. I haven't done any scientific tests on this, but I swear the automotive bath oil seems to last longer than the ultralight suspension fluids when used in this application.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 for years now for this purpose and have had great results.

If you think of the environment and requirements of what this lube does, suspension fluid is most likely not the best thing. Its main goal is to have a very high VI (does not change viscosity over temp) and less of a lube, especially under high pressure shear that a damper does not see.

Bushing to stanchion interface could definately see much higher shear forces...ther is also the contamination that the 'splash' lube sees. Dirt past the seals....micro particles of the bushing and stanchion materials....again, something like M1 is designed with additives to deal with these things moreso that sus fluid I would think.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Just be careful mixing lubes in a Marzocchi cartridge fork as those, at least the 55 ATA is known to suck in the splash bath oil into the damper.

_MK

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
No kidding???

MK_ said:
Just be careful mixing lubes in a Marzocchi cartridge fork as those, at least the 55 ATA is known to suck in the splash bath oil into the damper.

_MK
Well that sucks...literally.:D

MK, I haven't seen a 55 cart. Is it designed to do this, or is it a flaw? Of course this thread was about "sealed" carts...Fox 36, Manitou, and others. Or is the 55 cart like the older HSCV carts that look a little like a sealed cart but are designed to run and operate in an oil bath? Just curious.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
TNC said:
Well that sucks...literally.:D

MK, I haven't seen a 55 cart. Is it designed to do this, or is it a flaw? Of course this thread was about "sealed" carts...Fox 36, Manitou, and others. Or is the 55 cart like the older HSCV carts that look a little like a sealed cart but are designed to run and operate in an oil bath? Just curious.
The 55 cart is supposed to be a sealed cart. Sucking in oil is a definite flaw. The worst thing is, since it's sealed, you get hydro-lock from too much oil in it after it sucks enough of it in. Oddly, it won't purge, just suck in.

_MK

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys, been away for a few days. So the consensus is to go heavier on the splash lube rather than lighter? MK, have you had repeat episodes of the tst hydrolock? Mine has been fine since I sorted it the first time (3months) so I am wondering if, in fact, it wasn't just overfilled to start with?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
MK_ said:
The 55 cart is supposed to be a sealed cart. Sucking in oil is a definite flaw. The worst thing is, since it's sealed, you get hydro-lock from too much oil in it after it sucks enough of it in. Oddly, it won't purge, just suck in.

_MK
So glad I didn't blow my money on a 55. Even though I was not in love with my 36, I was finally able to get it to run reliably and inexpensively, no thanks to Fox.

So now I thought the problem with the 55 was that there was too much bath oil and on compression, the leg pressure would spike higher than the internal cart pressure and bypass oil inside, rather than sucking it in. So in essence, oil is forced in under pressure from the leg, rather than being sucked into the cart under an extremely weak vacuum at extension due to a small bladder.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Stevo the Devo said:
Sorry guys, been away for a few days. So the consensus is to go heavier on the splash lube rather than lighter? MK, have you had repeat episodes of the tst hydrolock? Mine has been fine since I sorted it the first time (3months) so I am wondering if, in fact, it wasn't just overfilled to start with?
Mine was repeating. I went as low as 20cc in the splash and it still sucked oil in. I ended up just sending the fork in to Marzocchi. I sincerely hope they'll sort me out. So much for being an early adopter.

_MK

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
MK_ said:
Mine was repeating. I went as low as 20cc in the splash and it still sucked oil in. I ended up just sending the fork in to Marzocchi. I sincerely hope they'll sort me out. So much for being an early adopter.

_MK
Must resist the Turner Homer temptation to be cool. Unfortunately, it was bound to bite them in the ass sometime, with regard to buying something the moment it's announced for release and making sure it's the most feature packed product available in that category. The reprieve is a positive post about good CS after a horrible failure.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Must resist the Turner Homer temptation to be cool. Unfortunately, it was bound to bite them in the ass sometime, with regard to buying something the moment it's announced for release and making sure it's the most feature packed product available in that category. The reprieve is a positive post about good CS after a horrible failure.
Happy to hear you've got it all figured out.

_MK

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
So now I thought the problem with the 55 was that there was too much bath oil and on compression, the leg pressure would spike higher than the internal cart pressure and bypass oil inside, rather than sucking it in. So in essence, oil is forced in under pressure from the leg, rather than being sucked into the cart under an extremely weak vacuum at extension due to a small bladder.
This is my thinking as well. But like MK_ I have used the lower bath oil and and it still had the issue. Mind you that was after 2 days of bombing runs. The lower oil level seemed to give me more time, and excess speeds during that weekend probably did it.

I might try a bit of vacuum in the damping leg next time. Compress fork to half then seal stanchion. But that messes with my overall spring rate (yep, played with that already :D ).

On the plus side it is a 10-15 minute job to bleed the damper.

P

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Like your Talas experience... :thumbsup:

But I'll call you out on the cool factor.

As you said all the 08 offerings are lacking in reliability. But you neglected one. The Manitou Nixon. TPC+ is stupid reliable, excellent damping (& tunable), and the Nixon chassis has been around and the design stabilized. But because Manitou is seen as uncool it does not get any consideration. CS is top notch too.

To the OP: the Nixon has been running different bath oils from it's damping oil for years. Manitou techs also confirmed 5w30 synthetic motor oil works great for the bath, and I used it for a couple years with good results.

P

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.