Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a chance to check out Wissahickon in PA recently. Found the trail that goes along the river on the hillside. (hope it was for bikes and not just hikers) Really rocky and steep here and there. Really enjoyed the technically different terrain. I'm in Monmouth county and go to Allaire and Shark River a few times week. Sometimes I'll head up to Hartshorne. Tons of fun but they're all pretty similiar. Anything near me that offers a little more variety? I'll guess Ringwood but that's kind of a far ride. Thanks, Marc

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
For different (ie rockier) terrain than Hartshorne and the like, you can try Round Valley and Allamuchy, which are probably a bit closer than Ringwood. As far as Ringwood, but another great place to ride, is Waywayanda.

Though I must say that Wissahickon is sort of a place of its own. Its been years since I've been there, but I used to love that trail along the river. Did you hike up that enclosed metal cage/bridge attached to the cliff face? Can you still ride those concrete half-oval bridges?

I need to make a trip down there this summer. Any idea if they're enforcing the permit thing?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
mmuller said:
Just got a chance to check out Wissahickon in PA recently. Found the trail that goes along the river on the hillside. (hope it was for bikes and not just hikers) Really rocky and steep here and there. Really enjoyed the technically different terrain. I'm in Monmouth county and go to Allaire and Shark River a few times week. Sometimes I'll head up to Hartshorne. Tons of fun but they're all pretty similiar. Anything near me that offers a little more variety? I'll guess Ringwood but that's kind of a far ride. Thanks, Marc
ringwood and wawayanda are going to be 2 hours away from you. allamuchy is going to be 1.5 i would think, maybe more.

insead, i would recommend trying chimney rock in martinsville. its not as difficult as ringwood or the mooch can be, but its much rockier than the shore areas. i think you could probably get there in about an hour - ish. directions can be found in the trails section of this site, but its off rt 78 near rt 575 in martinsville. a parking lot is on newmans lane.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.