Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day i borrowed my buddy's shimano 6 bolt, 6" standard rotor and put it on my hayes set up. My braking performance improved soooo much on my hfx 9s. they are totally new brakes. This leads me to believe that a rotor design has a lot to do w/ a brakes performance. The more holes, the more cooling but there is also less friction, therfor less stopping power. hmmmm

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
mtb4life45 said:
The other day i borrowed my buddy's shimano 6 bolt, 6" standard rotor and put it on my hayes set up. My braking performance improved soooo much on my hfx 9s. they are totally new brakes. This leads me to believe that a rotor design has a lot to do w/ a brakes performance. The more holes, the more cooling but there is also less friction, therfor less stopping power. hmmmm
Hmm...technically your Hayes should perform worse with Shimano rotors. Shimano rotors use a narrower braking track than everybody else's, meaning that your Hayes pads have less rotor to grab with a Shimano rotor. I'd check your original rotors for signs of contamination or something.

·
Registered
779 Posts
fat_weasel said:
I'd check your original rotors for signs of contamination or something.
yep,
sorry mtb4life, but your probably only experiencing this percieved difference as a result of your original rotors being contaminated. oil, residue, cleaning/lubing products are not completely swept off when the pads pass along the rotor, most of the time the contaminants are just pushed into the bedding grooves on the steel.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Do a search. I recently did a test between the Hope 2 piece rotors and a magura louise rotor. Both were the same size, but the Louise didn't have as much surface area removed for holes as the Hope, which confirmed my initial thoughts that Hope removed too much surface area for weight.

Look up the test somewhere here. I ruled out contamination, glazing, etc. I noted this because I had to use a different rotor in the beginning with my hope mono mini, then I installed the 8" rotor to replace the old maggie 6" and noted a reduction in braking power. Then I went to a newer maggie louise and got the power and didn't lose modulation.

Anyone who discounts surface area of the rotor as having an effect on braking has no idea about anything related to physics. The braking coefficient is a factor against the actual contact surface area of the pad against the rotor.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
dogonfr said:
Galfer rotors rock!!!! :thumbsup:
Galfer's transformed my Hayes HFX-9's. Noticeably more power - feels like 30% more. They now take much longer to fade from over heating. Eliminated hardpack and pavement jingle from tire vibration. Eliminated nearly all squeel with the same OEM pads.

I also replace the stock levers with the flat faced BFL's, which helps power a little too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.