Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that OEM Fox forks have plastic internals, vs. the metal on aftermarket forks. Is this really the case? I'd really like to get a bossless version of the RLT, but not if it has lesser internals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bossless lowers

Fox has quality issues with it's bossless lowers this year. They replace my 05 bossless lowers with 04 brake boss lowers. The issue was excessive play around the bushings. With the 04 lowers, everything is fine.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gfrench said:
Fox has quality issues with it's bossless lowers this year. They replace my 05 bossless lowers with 04 brake boss lowers. The issue was excessive play around the bushings. With the 04 lowers, everything is fine.
So the play was due to the sliders, not the bushings? That seems really odd.

I called Fox and they claimed that the only plastic in any of their forks, OEM or aftermarket, would be the wrapping on the Vanilla's coil springs and travel spacers. I guess I believe them.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
The only difference between the OEM and aftermarket is that when you get your fork aftermarket it comes in a Fox box with a star nut. They used to come with extra springs in 04 and older, but I got my aftermaker 05 Vanilla and it came with just a starnut and a manual. OEM is just a fork (and a manual if you're lucky). Really little difference. Aftermarket Floats come with a pump as do rear shocks. Internals are identical as I've owned both. It also makes no sense from company's perspective to be making two different types of parts for the same fork. This is the reason why Floats, Talases and Vanillas differ only in what's in the left leg. RLTs and Xs have a bit of material shaved aroud the crown and have different steerers, but that's it.

_MK

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
MK_ said:
The only difference between the OEM and aftermarket is that when you get your fork aftermarket it comes in a Fox box with a star nut. They used to come with extra springs in 04 and older, but I got my aftermaker 05 Vanilla and it came with just a starnut and a manual.
My 05 Vanilla RLC came with extra springs (and the star nut).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.