Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happy to be a mountain biker who rides a road bike only to be a better rmountain biker. It's from RoadBike Review.com. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=28379

Some roadie are such a**holes towards newbies...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a new convert to road cycling after a couple of years of successful mtb racing. I got onto a roadie only 2 mths ago and did my first group ride 1 mths ago. This group that I kinda have to ride with, the group closest to my area, are a bunch of a**holes and ego-trips. I was a strong mtb'er with some wins to back it up and because of this my stamina and basic bike skills are all there. I turned up for the ride in a singlet and my giant tcr and got the look immediately. It seemed as if I was unwelcolmed and that a newbie like me would not have survived the ride. They were also making comments of my dressing and "lousy" bike as they were all decked out with DA, Record, italian bikes and fancy wear. I just sucked it up and waited for the ride to start.

During the first 15mins, the pack was going slowly as warm up and they constantly tried to push me out to the sides or the back. This dude end told me in the face that i cant keep up so go to the back. By the time the pack reached fast speeds, I was jostled to the back. I was pissed of and I pushed and got in front. Then they started yelling at me and stuff and this really pissed me off. I knew that I had a better set of lungs are compared to them so I just made the move and upped the pace a substantial bit by moving to first guy position in the pack and held there till the ride ended.

Immediately, after the ride, a bunch of totally shagged out riders came to me and yelled at me saying that i disrupted their ride pace by going too fast and that a newbie MUST stay at the back. I was stunned!! Then I innocently told them that i found the pace a tad slow for me so i went faster and they did not have to chase/suck my wheels if it would disrupt their ride. After that incident, every ride that I do with them, they will find fault with me. This once, a car turned out of a T junction without checking and the pack with me in front was heading straight for it. I had to scrub speed off quickly and those a**es yelled at me for braking to avoid slamming into a car! They said I was endangering the riders behind me! What abt me? I should slam into the car then?

During rides where I pushed and dropped the pack, they would say that I sway too much side to side when i cycle and it was too dangerous for them to stay behind me. Ha! I think they just hate admitting to the fact that this guy wearing a singlet on a tcr can drop them even though he is 'new' to road cycling. Such a bunch of egos and trash talkers but no substance they are imho. For now, I shall continue to act like an innocent newbie and let their egos suffer the beating. Will not tell them that I was a mtb champion unless they asked...

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
They sound like Wankers..

Although I don't have a road bike, I still come across alot of roadies, most of them are nice, but I do find the guys on the real nice bikes(with DA and such..) most of the time are *******s to newbies/non roadies..

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had a read of the thread you posted at RBR and, for the most part, everything they said seemed to make sense. One dude said that the attitude was a defense mechanism of sorts, which i guess could be understood. Crashing in a pack on asphalt would suck heinously!!!
But still, snobbery is really really boring.

The only thing i don't get with riding road bikes is why people like to exercise around car exhaust fumes! Breathing in those toxic fumes surely can't be any good for you.
Give me fresh air and dirt to ride on any day!! Vive la MTB!!!! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, It wasn't me!!!

I felt sorry for the guy who actually posted it at RBR.com, so I reposted it here. Sorry for the confusion. By the way, I got a road bike a few weeks ago and was looking for a roadie club to join. Most roadies with Italian bikes and nice componants I met were not nice and gave me the look after checking my cheapo road bike and unshaved legs. :mad: When I started mountain biking with a cheapo HT, almost everyone I met on trails were nice and trid to help me on fitting and fixing. I am just happy to be a mountain biker. :D

·
The Uber Carnivore
360 Posts
You're so right.

I ride the road for the same reason as you. My days of racing crits are over, but I still love the road bike. And 5 hour Downieville loops require big fitness that only comes from road riding.

I was put through major grief (some of it deserved, but a lot was gratuitous) when I was new to road riding. When I see someone on a road bike riding like a Barney, I just keep my mouth shut and keep a safe distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.