Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything wrong with having 2 different brake setups ? I mean say I have a juicy 7 up front and a marta sl on the back. Pros cons?

I know the front brake is the best stopper and I am wondering if I could upgrade only my front brake (for now maybe) to a more powerful stopper and keep my POS hayes in the rear. Or is it best to buy both the same?

Any reasonably light weight suggestions for a big un? :D

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
SMOKEY said:
Is there anything wrong with having 2 different brake setups ? I mean say I have a juicy 7 up front and a marta sl on the back. Pros cons?

I know the front brake is the best stopper and I am wondering if I could upgrade only my front brake (for now maybe) to a more powerful stopper and keep my POS hayes in the rear. Or is it best to buy both the same?

Any reasonably light weight suggestions for a big un? :D
I don't see any isue at all. It's a great way to save money with the better brake up front. I know a few riders that have disk brakes up front and rim brakes in the back.

The only negative I can see is if the rear brakes are so terrible that you can't modulate them.....but generally speaking....it's a good idea...imo.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think you can base your decision on disc brakes primarily on performance and aesthetics since most of the major players seem to be very close in weight.

Here are a few actual weights from the Weight Weenies site:

Juicy 7 Front 160 - 425g
Louise FR front 180 - 445g
Hope Mono M4 front 180 - 445g

Personally, I am a fan of the Lousise FR w/180 in the front.

The downside to having two different disc brakes is having to keep two different sets of pads and two bleed kits on hand.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
my SS rig has no disc brake tabs in the rear so I have to run rim brakes in the rear. I am very happy running the combo of Avid Mech 185mm rotor front, Magura HS-33 rear. Both brakes allow lever reach and with some modulation adjustment on the Avid the feel is pretty close.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I think that the only real downside to this is both brakes will feel different. You'll probably get used to it after a while, but it will just feel weird to have a different feedback/feel from each lever/brake.

_MK

·
Registered
202 Posts
No Probs.

It will just feel a bit different, which you may or may not be able to work your head around.

Also, if you like to carry spare pads with you, then you will need to carry 2 different sets of pads. Hardly a major problem.

Incidently, I run a Hope Mono M4 up from and a Hope Mono Mini at the rear for weight saving. Same levers, just different brakes...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm currently running a hope mono m4 (200mm) front and a louise fr (180mm) rear

the fashion police threatened to arrest me several times but apart from that: no problems

but I don't think i could handle the combination of two brakes that differ very much in modulation.
Both hope and magura control their power by the force you pull the lever with.
I think if I would combine either of them with a brake who's modulation works by lever travel (as my old formula disks did), there would be some major confusion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.