Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I’m writing because my Enduro SL Pro has developed a fork problem I’ve not seen discussed in other threads. Also I have an additional issue regarding the bumper on the fork stanchion denting the frame.

To correctly sag the fork for my weight I have to use approximately 78psi. At that pressure the fork doesn’t return to full extension on its own. I’m losing a little over 8 mm of travel due to this situation.:nono: My LBS has some parts from Specialized that they will hopefully use to fix that problem when I take the bike to them this coming Monday. I’ve seen a number of posts concerning this situation but no explanation as to why it’s happening. According to my LBS the lowest pressure that should ever be run is 70psi.

However, today I went to adjust the compression on the fork. The lever, which is supposed to have 8-9 clicks from lock to lock if I remember correctly, just continually turned without ever hitting a stop in either direction.:madman: Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didn’t get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling can’t totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isn’t a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube.:madmax: Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?

All the aforementioned issues aside I love this bike!:D I can only hope that Specialized steps up and handles these problems as they’ve rectified the problems that other folks have already had. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your story if you’ve experienced similar problems.

Michael:thumbsup:
 

·
Bike Breaker.
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
I use similar pressures to you on the front and I know what you mean about the return, though I just unweigh the front and it slides back out, No problems with the rebound clicks, or the compression dial yet. Bit worried to hear re:those bump stops denting the frame though, let us know what specialized tell you. So far this bike lives up to my wildest dreams of what I wanted from one bike.
 

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a different problem

catnash said:
I use similar pressures to you on the front and I know what you mean about the return, though I just unweigh the front and it slides back out, No problems with the rebound clicks, or the compression dial yet. Bit worried to hear re:those bump stops denting the frame though, let us know what specialized tell you. So far this bike lives up to my wildest dreams of what I wanted from one bike.
Hi catnash,

Thanks for sharing your experience. However it sounds like your fork is working correctly regarding the return to full extension. It sounds like you're talking about going from the short travel position to the long travel position. Mine works as you describe; move the lever to the correct position, take the weight off the fork and it returns. My fork doesn't come to full extension when you get off the bike after I've been riding it in the long travel position for many miles. I have to literally put one hand on the tire and pull on the handlebars to get the fork to fully extend.:nono: I've seen a number of other posts regarding this issue. We'll see if Specialized has a fix. I agree with you that, other than these problems, the bike is a dream to peddle!:D

Thanks again,

Michael:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Huh, I just checked on my bike and it does something similar. If I compress it a few times and then let off, it extends almost all the way back. If I lift the bike up, the fork extends a tiny bit more. I really never noticed this before and I don't see why it matters at all. If you're on the bike, the fork will sag at least that much, if you're not on the bike then it doesn't really matter what the fork is doing.

That having been said, I'd be interested to hear if Specialized or your LBS thinks this is actually a problem or a sign of problems to come.
 

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several Questions???

YouCanCallMeAl said:
Huh, I just checked on my bike and it does something similar. If I compress it a few times and then let off, it extends almost all the way back. If I lift the bike up, the fork extends a tiny bit more. I really never noticed this before and I don't see why it matters at all. If you're on the bike, the fork will sag at least that much, if you're not on the bike then it doesn't really matter what the fork is doing.

That having been said, I'd be interested to hear if Specialized or your LBS thinks this is actually a problem or a sign of problems to come.
Hi Al,

Several Questions:

How many millimeters of sag are you setting in the fork? What pressure are you running in your fork to attain that much sag? How much do you weigh? Do you reach full extension if you run 90+psi in the fork? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Michael:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Correct Sag

I am running 80psi and getting 35mm sag. I am 75kg (165lb). Found no problem at all getting the correct sag. Best advice is to watch the suspension setup videos on the Spec web site. Real easy to follow instruction...
 

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Setting Sag isn't the issue.

Rocroc said:
I am running 80psi and getting 35mm sag. I am 75kg (165lb). Found no problem at all getting the correct sag. Best advice is to watch the suspension setup videos on the Spec web site. Real easy to follow instruction...
Hi Rocroc,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not aware of anyone having a problem setting the sag on this bike. The issue arises when you need to use less than 80psi in order to get the correct 25% (37.5mm) of sag as defined by the manual and the videos. With less than 80psi a number of folks have found that the fork doesn't come back to full extension on its own. In my case, even after I've dismounted the bike the fork sits 8mm into the travel unless I manually extend the fork to its full travel.:madman: Additionally, my fork compression adjustment lever spins freely and infinitely in either direction with no effect on the fork.:madmax: Have you experienced either of these problems? Finally, I agree that the videos are well done and an excellent resource for the theory of suspension set up as well as the instructions specific to this bike. Kudos to Specialized for producing them!:D

Thanks,

Michael:thumbsup:
 

·
Bike Breaker.
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
michaelsnead said:
Hi Rocroc,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not aware of anyone having a problem setting the sag on this bike. The issue arises when you need to use less than 80psi in order to get the correct 25% (37.5mm) of sag as defined by the manual and the videos. With less than 80psi a number of folks have found that the fork doesn't come back to full extension on its own. In my case, even after I've dismounted the bike the fork sits 8mm into the travel unless I manually extend the fork to its full travel.:madman: Additionally, my fork compression adjustment lever spins freely and infinitely in either direction with no effect on the fork.:madmax: Have you experienced either of these problems? Finally, I agree that the videos are well done and an excellent resource for the theory of suspension set up as well as the instructions specific to this bike. Kudos to Specialized for producing them!:D

Thanks,

Michael:thumbsup:
Mine is the same with 77.5 PSI, though when my fork goes for service I'm sure any known problems will be done then? That's what TF Tuned do with other forks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
Hmm, I have a question about triple and double crown fork though, since the fork stanctions is between the frame, what happen when you crash? My single crown fork ended up facing me when I fell, so I wonder what happen to your bike if you fell and what happen to your bike?
 

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wheelhot said:
Hmm, I have a question about triple and double crown fork though, since the fork stanctions is between the frame, what happen when you crash? My single crown fork ended up facing me when I fell, so I wonder what happen to your bike if you fell and what happen to your bike?
Hi wheelhot,

Here is what happened to my bike:

"Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didn't get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling can't totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isn't a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube. Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?"

Thanks,

Michael:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Having a similar problem with my fork. Has developed bad stiction very quickly. I need to put 10psi less than recommended in to get it to settle into sag while stationary as it's binding badly. With the right pressure in it sticks so much there is no small bump compliance with compression fully off. Tried to convince myself that it was a break in issue/in my head because the shop I bought if from is a fair trek away due to availability issues in Ireland (live in Dublin bought in Belfast). Left leg is now showing oil marks that don't get wiped away by the seals and is fairly resistant to rubbing with gloved fingers-the curse of the early adopter comes home to roost. Going back to the shop asap-400k round trip nice- :madman:
 

·
Bike Breaker.
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
How many hours have you ridden the fork? Mine has a similar feel with stiction, going to lube the foam rings when I get the chance, Let us know what the shop tells you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
michaelsnead said:
Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didn't get my foot unclipped and fell to the left.
Only advanced riders should be allowed access to an advanced bike such as the Enduro SL! :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
In response to Catnashs question; about 20-25 hours on my fork-which is probably a good way through its service life if I remember the manual-why did I ever leave marzocchi:???: Fit and forget sound very appealing now. I'll let you know what the shop says.
 

·
Wuss extraordinare
Joined
·
244 Posts
Michael,
Bummer on the bike dude, on the other hand do you wanna ride on Friday, what does your schedule look like, I'm thinking of going out in the afternoon, maybe Auburn for a few shuttle runs if enough people can go?
 

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that the best thing you can think to say?

djska said:
Only advanced riders should be allowed access to an advanced bike such as the Enduro SL! :nono:
Hi djska,

I have three suggestions for you:

1. Get a Life!
2. If sarcasm is your goal….try for something that isn't so weak.
3. Next time….only respond if you have something positive to add to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing,:D

Michael:thumbsup:
 

·
Bike Breaker.
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
leadmines said:
In response to Catnashs question; about 20-25 hours on my fork-which is probably a good way through its service life if I remember the manual-why did I ever leave marzocchi:???: Fit and forget sound very appealing now. I'll let you know what the shop says.
One thing you could try, upend the bike overnight and the lube in the foam ring will be replenished. The Specialized Warranty in the UK is second to none, I have never had to use them though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
michaelsnead said:
Hi djska,

I have three suggestions for you:

1. Get a Life!
2. If sarcasm is your goal….try for something that isn't so weak.
3. Next time….only respond if you have something positive to add to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing,:D

Michael:thumbsup:
I apologize for this, couldn't help it, reminded me of a similar fall I had with my first mountain bike 10 years okay. From your pics it looks like you are quite a capable rider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
catnash said:
One thing you could try, upend the bike overnight and the lube in the foam ring will be replenished. The Specialized Warranty in the UK is second to none, I have never had to use them though.
I'll give that a try-certainly preferable to the long drive to my not so local LBS drive-the shop have ordered in replacement forks so at least the warranty is working, but I'd prefer if the forks were working...
 

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me add my apology to the mix

djska said:
I apologize for this, couldn't help it, reminded me of a similar fall I had with my first mountain bike 10 years okay. From your pics it looks like you are quite a capable rider.
Hi djska,

Let me add my apology to the mix since after re-reading the thread it looks to me like I over reacted to your comments. I'll also admit to be anxious over what Specialized will do to fix these problems since I'm enjoying this bike immensely. I find it to be a really fun trail bike. I'm falling in love with going up hill again after years of stunts, jumps and downhill thrills. I hope you're enjoying your custom build. It would be interesting to hear what you thought of using a different fork on this bike. Have you ridden a stock version as well as your custom build?

Thanks,

Michael:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 279 Posts
Top