Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone hightlight the differences in the performance of these various rear shock Fox models. I am looking at getting a used scalpel that has one of these versions - I emailed the owner asking what version of Fox shock the bike has on it, in the meantime I would like to educate myself on what the various models offers.

Since the scalpel has been made since 2002 - there has pretty much been a different model fox shock each year.

05 - Fox Float RP3
04 - Fox Float RL Pro-pedal
03 - Fox Float RL
02 - Fox Float L (lower end bikes) and RL on the upper end.

Do any one of these shocks necessarily work better with the cannondale scalpel suspension design?

thanks
Ed

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'll give that a go. The difference between the older RL and L models is that the RL (also previously known as the RC) has external rebound adjustment, while the L only had Lockout. The RL Propedal adds Fox's anti-bob technology to the rebound and lockout of the earlier RL, while the RP3 does away with the lockout in favor of an adjustable level (3 settings) of "platform" for the propedal. Personally I don't think it's a big deal for the Scalpel since I never felt that rear bob was a problem with 2.7" of travel. Of the 3, I liked the RL and RL Propedal the most because I liked having a full lockout for the rear. Of course the best of all worlds would be to have the adjustability of the new RP3 with a manual lockout. Now we're talking! :D

eman2 said:
Hello,

Can anyone hightlight the differences in the performance of these various rear shock Fox models. I am looking at getting a used scalpel that has one of these versions - I emailed the owner asking what version of Fox shock the bike has on it, in the meantime I would like to educate myself on what the various models offers.

Since the scalpel has been made since 2002 - there has pretty much been a different model fox shock each year.

05 - Fox Float RP3
04 - Fox Float RL Pro-pedal
03 - Fox Float RL
02 - Fox Float L (lower end bikes) and RL on the upper end.

Do any one of these shocks necessarily work better with the cannondale scalpel suspension design?

thanks
Ed

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JCW,

Thanks for the feedback. I found out from the owner of the bike that the shock is a fox float RL. I'll find out more this sunday when I take a look at the bike in person.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts