Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the UST benifit of the 819, what are other major differences between the DT Swiss 4.1d vs. the Mavic? Additonally, what can I expect out of Chris King disc hubs vs. WTB Laser Lites?

I borrowed my friend's DT 4.1d's coupled with WTB hubs for the past 2 weeks so I am familiar with the performance -- which is very good IMO. Now, I'm looking to purchase a set of new wheels for myself and was wondering if the 819 would be considered an "upgrade." I would think the Kings would "better" but how much better I am not sure (how much faster of a hookup?) I ride mostly trail and like a stiff wheel.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I suppose with a UST rim you could run either UST or non tubeless tires tubeless, the latter with latex and the former just as normal.

The X4.1D will be lighter, is not tubeless, could be run tubeless using Stans system, but the rims probably wont be so durable if you run overly low pressures.

Depends on what you want. I couldn't decide but when non ust and am happy thus far as I sometimes like to use tubes.

Apart from price between the 2 hubs, hands-down performance wise, KING is the best. Durable, reliable, quick engagement, hassle free, light weight, good looking, bearings that last, flawless. WTBs are fine, but they are Am Classics, and Am classics tend to be a little delicate particularly for all day trail riding. I hated mine but some people love them. I suppose it depends on what you can afford and how hard you are on gear or how much riding you do.

If you can afford it, don't hesitate to get Kings. I have had mine for a little under a year and they amaze me how good they are. I had Am Classic hubs for a few months and they broke twice.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
DALI said:
Besides the UST benifit of the 819, what are other major differences between the DT Swiss 4.1d vs. the Mavic? Additonally, what can I expect out of Chris King disc hubs vs. WTB Laser Lites?

I borrowed my friend's DT 4.1d's coupled with WTB hubs for the past 2 weeks so I am familiar with the performance -- which is very good IMO. Now, I'm looking to purchase a set of new wheels for myself and was wondering if the 819 would be considered an "upgrade." I would think the Kings would "better" but how much better I am not sure (how much faster of a hookup?) I ride mostly trail and like a stiff wheel.
I was in your postion about 5months ago, I chose the VXC rim and the WTB hub, mainly due to cost, well sadly I got a bad hub and ended up getting a refund.
I am(was) in the same postion as you are again, I have decided to get CK with Supercomps and the d4.1.
I'm a weight weenie and thats the main reason why I chose not to get the 819, I will rather spend more money and get the new DT tubeless kit(eclipse) then carry around all that extra weight when I'm only running tubes.
CK are heavier, mpre pricey, a bit more drag and also noisier then the WTB, but other then those things they just don't compare.
The Noise I like, the price pays for itself, the weight means strength and the drag really is not a big deal.
Up to you, if your worried about weight then go the DT. If you want to go tubeless straight away then just get the 819.
Up to you on hubs, go with what you can afford.
Oh nearly forgot! I reccomend Mike Garcia for your wheels. www.oddsandendos.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts