Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As older XTR seem to be de riguer for SSing, I thought I might pick myself up a pair, were I to find them cheap...my question is, although they appear nearing identical, how did the cranks evolve from 950 to 951 to 952. Are the 952s much different/better/more desirable than the 950s?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
a nice cake said:
As older XTR seem to be de riguer for SSing, I thought I might pick myself up a pair, were I to find them cheap...my question is, although they appear nearing identical, how did the cranks evolve from 950 to 951 to 952. Are the 952s much different/better/more desirable than the 950s?
Good question. Without having my handy reference binders, the main differences are in the chainrings. M950 was 8-speed evolving to the M952 9-speed compatible rings. Arms are probably virtually unchanged.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
a nice cake said:
Fuctionally, Mike is correct. The M950 and M951 were eight speed and M952 had nine speed rings. The M950 arms have a slightly different shape (wider) than the later models but the M951 and M952 arms are identical. The design change is minor but the M951 and M952 are probably a bit stronger/stiffer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.