Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Differences Between Dirt Jumping and Street Riding Bikes

10K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Drayzen 
#1 ·
This is a ridiculous question for most of you, I'm sure. But what are the big differences between 26" bikes for dirt jumping and 26" bikes for street riding are? I've got a pretty big BMX background and I'm looking to get more into MTB's. I picked up a single speed Santa Cruz Jackal for cheap from a friend. It's seems to be a great dirt jumping bike, but how different is that bike from what Danny MacAskill rides (for instance) in terms of parts and frame geometry? Could I just throw a rigid fork on and hit the street? Or is there more to it than that?

Any help for this rookie would be appreciated.

#3 ·
NOTE- This is all my personal preference:

A trials bike like Danny Macaskills is to a Santa Cruz Jackal as a Subaru Impreza WRX Sti is to a Hummer.

What I'm trying to say, is that the Subaru is made for one specific thing, when a Jackal can prettymuch do everything.

The only real thing that differentiates a street bike from a DJ bike is the build. You can have a singlespeed Jackal with a Rockshox Argyle and a extra firm spring that is made for DJ'ing, or a geared Jackal with an adjustable RockShox pike and a spring that is more suited for your weight for street.

It is really all about the build of the bike.

#5 ·
Drayzen said:
Okay thanks for the help! I got the Jackal for next to nothing. I figured it would get me started. I just didn't want to spend significant time on the street with this bike, only to find out that it's the wrong bike for the job.
sure no problem, hey since you got your bike for next to nothing if you find out it's not for you lemme know, I'll give you something for it.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.