Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the real differences between these bikes? I know the XL Flux has a 0.2 inch longer top tube. It seems like the geometry is similar...The Flux is ICT, the Burner is not. What about frame weights? Is the Burner heavier? The shock attachment and bottom bracket look similar as far as levels of machining go....No real difference except for positioning from a structural standpoint....I realize that the new position plus different rockers are what make it ICT....I love my Burner and am wondering what the real differences would be between it and a Flux.....Thanks.

Greyeye

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
The Flux is about 1/2 lb. lighter. Top tubes are longer across the board, otherwise the geometries are the same. There was a thread a while back that discussed the differences.

Here's one of my favorites.
Some of that discussion in really funny now because numbers like $750 difference were talked about.

For the lucky few who "stole" those XL from dave for $650, the difference is really dramatic.

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Greyeye said:
What are the real differences between these bikes? I know the XL Flux has a 0.2 inch longer top tube. It seems like the geometry is similar...The Flux is ICT, the Burner is not. What about frame weights? Is the Burner heavier? The shock attachment and bottom bracket look similar as far as levels of machining go....No real difference except for positioning from a structural standpoint....I realize that the new position plus different rockers are what make it ICT....I love my Burner and am wondering what the real differences would be between it and a Flux.....Thanks.

Greyeye
One real difference resulting from the different rocker arm angle might be noticeable if you tested it. The Flux should have less compressive torque on the rear suspension when applying the rear brake. This will give you better traction through bumps but also will mean that the frame will rotate forward more from rear braking. It won't be a big difference but it might be perceptible.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Flux - ball burnished polished alum finish - oooh. Lighter - 4" vs. 3.6" - "racier" overall ride.
Burner - more trail oriented vs. XC, and with XR rockers you get the same 4" travel - big difference in price if you can even find a Burner now. Otherwise there are probably more similarities than differences, but subtle differences can mean a lot. My Burner is running the bigger travel rockers and the RP3, and I absolutely love the way it rides. I think there's not enough difference in performance between a 4" RP3 Burner and the Flux for me to consider trading "up", but if there was no difference in the $$ I had to spend, I would probably opt for the Flux as my one do it all kind of ride.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
lidarman said:
Some of that discussion in really funny now because numbers like $750 difference were talked about.

For the lucky few who "stole" those XL from dave for $650, the difference is really dramatic.
Like this one :D
Better pics on dirt to follow. Rain tomorrow, ride Sunday.

Attachments

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Looks very nice RR, mine will look very similiar, I'm gonna try a Marathon XC up front and I popped for some Juicys too. The frame looks like the perfect size for you(and me) :D

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
That should be a nice fork. My build is on the sticky Burner setup thread.
I rode it up and down the street with my kids last night carying a shock pump. I understand the point about setting up the Swinger, the SVP chamber is pretty small so just a couple pumps makes a big pressure diff plus (with my current lame shock pump) taking the pump off makes it kinda a crap shoot. That said I hammered it up a hill and got no bobbing whatsoever. I'll tweak the main pressure to get sag and check it out on dirt.
Maybe it's just having a clean degunked drivetrain and shifters but it shifts veeeery nicely. Crisp.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Burn(er) out the day
Burn(er) out the night
I can't see no reason to put up a fight
I'm living for giving the devil his due

A little BOC huh-nice, wonder why our frames didn't have the Burner sticker, I was gonna cut off the "er" and pay tribute to a certain mid ride activity. My buddy cut off the "5 S" on his 5 Spot stickers, good stuff :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
zkampyman said:
If you made the frames the same color with the same shocks, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference without a tape measure for the top tube.
Kane
That's not right at all...

The rocker pivot is in a different place. The rocker angle is different (falls within the ICT patent). The frame is lighter by 1/2 lb. It comes with 4" of travel vs. 3.6". The top tube is noticably longer, even without a tape measure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.