Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if there are any mechanical or spec differences between the 2018 and 2020 Epic Expert Bikes?

I found a good deal on a new 2018 Epic Expert at a shop but was wondering if there are any notable differences. The only differences I could find on the spec sheets are 80mm stem vs 90mm and 25mm rim width vs 22mm. I am not sure about internal differences or problems in the fork and shock?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I spoke to two dealers and both say they have seen nothing on the 2020 bikes. You may have to wait a few more months.
Nothing has been officially released in the US. Not sure about other countries. But i havent seen anything and cant really find much.

US Dealer Events were in September last year if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am wondering if there are any mechanical or spec differences between the 2018 and 2020 Epic Expert Bikes?

I found a good deal on a new 2018 Epic Expert at a shop but was wondering if there are any notable differences. The only differences I could find on the spec sheets are 80mm stem vs 90mm and 25mm rim width vs 22mm. I am not sure about internal differences or problems in the fork and shock?
In reading the various "blown out shock" threads, I thought there were some rear shock updates from the 2018. I doubt there will be any frame changes. Most likely just components. The dealer cost on the bike I believe is around 35% not including any incentives from the manufacturer. So anything south of 25% off is a good deal. Or just wait for 2020 and try and get 10-15% off the new version.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have heard the same on the shock issues with the 2018 and Specialized is not really
honoring the warranty, even with the oil leaks, they claim they are still functional. I also see where the 2019 changed the bottom bracket and the wheels over the 2018. The 2018 was a learning year and will have problems.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have heard the same on the shock issues with the 2018 and Specialized is not really
honoring the warranty, even with the oil leaks, they claim they are still functional. I also see where the 2019 changed the bottom bracket and the wheels over the 2018. The 2018 was a learning year and will have problems.
I've worked for a shop in my hometown and raced for them for several years and have been through several epics, as have a lot of others around here and have NEVER heard of specialized not warrantying their brain shocks.

So unless someone actually has legitimate evidence and a good shop representing them, i honestly dont believe it.

I've personally had some warrantied as well with an oil leak which was also losing pressure and it was no questions asked once our shop manager called to ask about it (That was the first call made as well) They just sent a new one and we had it within a few days.

Also, On the topic of discounts, anything over 25% is a fantastic deal on a specialized. Cost is pretty high so there isnt just a massive profit margin for most shops. Cost also varies by how much product a particular dealer can move. So if you're ok with the potential for having to warranty a shock from 2018 (since that was the year model with the most issues as the brain was a new version for 2018) i say go for it if its a good discount. Or you can wait for the 2020 which is what i would personally do. Parts specs should be better and it wont be too much higher of a cost if you can get any kind of a discount from your LBS.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up the 2018 for about 28% off msrp and they swapped the rear Brain for a new one for free before I rolled the bike out of the shop. They have a whole box of them in the shop. The only down side is that I would have liked the 25mm wheel set. Took it for the first 22 mile break in ride last weekend and it was a blast! Much faster than my 2011 Mach 429 aluminum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In what state do you live to get a new rear shock? I talked to three Specialized dealers and all have or have access to that same bike. I was told that Specialized has a lot of them they are trying to sell. However, when I asked about changing the rear shock, they all said the same thing. Specialized is discounting the bike because they know the 2018 shock has a lot of issues. I relayed your tale to one store manager and she told me Specialized will only replace the rear shock with a 2018 and only if it breaks in the warranty period. Specialized is trying to dump bad merchandise so they won't have to eat a loss on their books.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont’t worry, you will blow it before warranty expires 😉 and get a new specced one. The revisioned ones should be better... Besides that it’s pretty normal to give discount on ‘old specced’ bikes. I don’t believe they will replace it with a 2018, actually, there is no way to check that?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
2020 models are starting to show up on the dealer side. But they aren't available for another month or so.

That being said, the evo models are all that i've seen. No regular Epic models just yet.
New colors and part specs look good for the Evo's though. Better than last year in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I had my 2018 Epic shock repaired once under warranty and then replaced under warranty with a new 2019 Shock / Brain unit. Zero cost from shop both times and zero hassle. Just told them it was "broken" and less than 2 weeks bike was fixed. I doubt any big changes for 2020 for the Epic.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wow, one of those is not like the others ? A bunch of safe, boring colors and then BAM - pink to blue fade.
Yeah that pink to blue fade is sweet haha.

I got a deal on the orange epic WC like 4 years ago and ever since then, the boring colors just dont do it for me.
Was a little iffy about it when i ordered it and it quickly became my favorite color i had owned.
The loud ones are just more fun!

There is a neon blue with pink/yellow fade logo for the chisel for 2020 and i was really hoping that would make it to the epic. It's SWEET.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.