Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shimano M-952 long cage rear derailleur. My lower pulley is seized, and my upper pulley is missing a tooth! (as of my last ride). I am now looking for a replacement.

“XTR” pulleys run fairly steep – 30 USD on Jenson, and 60 CAD at a local bike shop! I am wondering if there is any problems with running other Shimano pulleys, or even ones from a different brand. (Guy at bike shop recommended “tax” pulleys, or something like that)

My derailleur is 2.5 years old already, I am not sure how much more life I’ll get out of it.

What do you recommend? Any experiences?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Bloodfist said:
I have a Shimano M-952 long cage rear derailleur. My lower pulley is seized, and my upper pulley is missing a tooth! (as of my last ride). I am now looking for a replacement.

"XTR" pulleys run fairly steep - 30 USD on Jenson, and 60 CAD at a local bike shop! I am wondering if there is any problems with running other Shimano pulleys, or even ones from a different brand. (Guy at bike shop recommended "tax" pulleys, or something like that)

My derailleur is 2.5 years old already, I am not sure how much more life I'll get out of it.

What do you recommend? Any experiences?
I'm not sure how long your XTR will last either because it's not in my hands, but if it's not causing you any grief (other than the pulleys) i'd say get a set of XT pulleys and put them in. I've never heard of "tax" pulleys, but whatever you do just make sure the upper pulley "floats" from side-to-side - it's important in Shimano RDs. Try your best to avoid the aftermarket, sealed bearing pulleys that don't allow this float as it can be a royal pita the set up and keep maintained for good, long-term shifting performance.

Now, the even BIGGER question is - why is the lower pulley siezed and have you opened it up to look at it?

Speak up! I can help, even moreso because you're local (?).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andrew,

I am guessing the XTR pulley seized as a result of mud entering it, or maybe me forcing it in when i was pressure washing my bike (I avoid the bearing spots... not sure why I might have sprayed at derailleur)

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
You've blown the grease out of the bearings by using a pressure wash. It's possible that the bearings have simply disintegrated due to the friction and temperatures resulting from zero lubrication. If this is how you're going clean stuff, you might as well just get a set of $15 Deore pulleys which run on bushes.
The differences between the pulleys, and a little advise on cleaning and maintenance of derailleur, can be found in the link in my signature. Here's a link for a full XTR overhaul.
Peace,
Steve

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Bloodfist said:
Hi Andrew,

I am guessing the XTR pulley seized as a result of mud entering it, or maybe me forcing it in when i was pressure washing my bike (I avoid the bearing spots... not sure why I might have sprayed at derailleur)
Hmnmm, don't know where my e-mail notification went with this one, but anyways .....

SteveUK pretty much covered it. Have you taken it apart to see what's going on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.