Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new XT and LX cranks with the EBB what is the difference? I have heard the only difference is the material of the chainrings and that the rings actually last longer on the LX.

I am also wondering if the bottom bracket is exactly the same between XT and LX?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
From what I know, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the BBs on the two cranksets are interchangeable. I don't know about the durability of the rings.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
besides the cosmetic differences, the xt has aluminum chainrings (the lx has steal inner and middle chainrings) and it's lighter than the lx by ~70 grams. no idea about the bearings.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
besides the cosmetic differences, the xt has aluminum chainrings (the lx has steal inner and middle chainrings) and it's lighter than the lx by ~70 grams. no idea about the bearings.
Middle ring on LX is ALM. Other differences is that XT has some alm bolts, LX is all steel, XT has a steel spindle, LX is alm. Also the quality of the chainrings is marginally better on the XT according to some. If you add an alm granny and bolts to LX it is only about 30g heavier than XT.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Kris said:
Middle ring on LX is ALM. Other differences is that XT has some alm bolts, LX is all steel, XT has a steel spindle, LX is alm. Also the quality of the chainrings is marginally better on the XT according to some. If you add an alm granny and bolts to LX it is only about 30g heavier than XT.
An aluminum granny ring is a bad idea. They wear quickly and chainsuck is the result. The thing I would do is when you replace a chain is replace the granny with a steel one. Your frame will thank you for it. The first time you gouge your frame because of chainsuck from that aluminum ring you'll slap you forehead and say "Doh!".

Better yet, save some money and get the LX crank, which already has a steel granny ring.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
handy thread
i am in the process of buying bits for a build up and i have been looking at the xt chain set. the lx would save me a nice little packet for something else if it were worth it. cant skimp where its not neccessary though. hope this thread results in more info.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Again, maybe someone a little more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong....

The way I understand it, most of the external BBs are interchangeable across cranksets, period. Well, I know that to be true across Race Face and Shimano lines. I'm pretty sure that's true across the board.

That being said, I don't know if the bearings in the XT BB are any better than those in the LX. I do know that the LBS is in the habit of replacing the bearings in the XTs with after market ceramics as a general rule when installing new XT cranks. Even with the higher price tag, the XT BBs are apparently not without problems right out of the box.

I guess the next question is, can you just by the XT cranks without the Shimano BB? That would be ideal.

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
I am planning on getting the LX crankset- does anyone know if the LX will run with an 8speed drivetrain? The website says that the crankset is "9sp" compatible... doesnt mention anything about 8speed. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
anirban said:
I am planning on getting the LX crankset- does anyone know if the LX will run with an 8speed drivetrain? The website says that the crankset is "9sp" compatible... doesnt mention anything about 8speed. Thanks.
yep, no problems running "9spd" crank/rings with 8spd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.