Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
i have a 2021 giant talon 2 with rockshox upgrade and saving for a specialized status.
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Footwear Shoe Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Grey
Footwear Sports equipment Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Sportswear

im looking for clipless shoes and some look more like flat shoes and some look like road shoes whats the difference.

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
The shoes like the black ones in your post that are more like flats are more for trail or all-mountain use. They tend to be a little more flexible so walking is easier. Shoes like the white ones are intended more for XC racing type use, and they tend to be stiffer for more efficient power transfer but they're not as easy to walk in. Of course you can wear either type for whatever style of riding you do if you want to.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You could use either shoe for either of those pedals, technically. Like said, the white one that looks like a road shoe is pretty much a road shoe, with a little tread glued onto the bottom. Typically super stiff. usually lighter. Hike a bike will be awkward in them. The black one is more a flat shoe that has a cleat stuck on it. Better for hike a bike and touring where you'll spend a bunch of time off the bike walking.

·
Single Track Mind
1,045 Posts
I also find shoes like the black ones offer a lot more protection from rocks and roots, and trees, and the bike itself. They will be heavier, but it isn't a deal breaker. I have a pair of Ride Concept Transitions that are super comfortable on and off the bike, plus they have saved me from some serious pain on a few occasions now. I also have a pair of Sidi Gravel shoes that are much lighter. They don't walk around as well and don't offer much protection, but they feature amazing power transfer for an efficient ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There are the traditional clipless pedals iwth 2-pin cleats that have been around for 30 years and the newer Shimano SL type that use 3 bolts to secure the cleats to the shoes and provide more support, at least in theory, for the rider with the greater surface area of the pedal.

"Mountain bike" shoes have the cleat recessed into the sole of the shoe so one can walk around when off the bike. Road type shoes now do not have a recess for the cleat and so walking around is not easy and for the Shimano SL pedals one can buy special cleat booties to put on while off the bike. For my part the SL pedals provide me with no real gain as a good shoe with a stiff sole is all that I need. So I buy the Shimano ME5 mountain bike shoes.

With the purchase of my last pair of bike shoes I found that sizing is all over the map. A size 45 for one shoe might be smaller than a size 44 or 43 for another shoe and even within a brand the size was not consistent from one model to the next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
White shoes look stiff and unbending. You are unlikely to be comfortable going up a hill in these shoes. I think they are designed to grip your foot to the floor during the race, so you can get away faster and so on. I only buy models designed by pickleball player, Tyson Mcguffin, which are a bit like the top black shoe from your picture but made of less durable material to keep the foot breathing. I have some joint problems, so I ensure my ankles are protected but not restrained by such sturdy rubber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.