Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the difference between all three shimano clipless pedals pd-m540, pd-m770, and pd-m970? Lookint at the parts list, they are all the same design. Guessing the xtr's are weight optimized?? Why no buy a 540 and a ti spindle and some screws to drop weight? Should be loads cheaper and lighter.

Thanks.
B.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually,the 540 and 970 are pretty much the same,the majority of parts of 540 and 970 can be interchanged , perhaps,the 970 possess the advanced material of spindle.

·
Registered
832 Posts
540 and 770 are nearly identical, 770 is just a cosmetic upgrade. 970 adds a hollow steel axle to save 25g. 970 might have a better wear/rust resistant coating as well, like the older 959.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another option...

... I have been using the Performance SPD MTB pedal (Forte Carve MTB) for 6-7 years without incident. They are only 295g (970's are 325g from what I read), these have sealed bearings and cromoly spindle for only $40. Probably some short other comings I am not aware of, but they work for me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Forte pedals work great for most people, but I know of some riders strong enough to pull out of them with some regularity - even when the release tension is at its highest. To be fair, the rider I'm most thinking of also occasionally pulls out of his XTR pedals, as well.....those crazy single speeders!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I haven't been happy with my xtr pedals. Stripped the adjustment screw.

They should have made it a bigger size, like the previous design (747's).

I'm currently paying more than those forte pedals for a rebuild kit!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have also had problems with my xtr pedals, so many that I switched back to my old 540s which I haveb't been able to ride to death yet! The biggest issue with the xtrs was that after about 5 short rides, they lost tension and the springs actually fell out (tension screws were set about half way). After an agonzing hour of trying to re-tension, I had to give up and take them to LBS who also struggled to rebuild the pedals. If use them now I keep the tension super tight, but as a result I only use them for non technical rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts