Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title would suggest I was wondering what the difference was between the SRAM PC-89 and PC-99 hollowpin chains were. One is supposedly a road chain and one an MTB chain according the the SRAM site but I can't see any reason why a PC-89 couldn't be used on a mountain bike and and a PC-99 on a road bike. Are the plates different? Is there any variation in materails used? Would anyone care to enlighten me on this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Explosif98 said:
As the title would suggest I was wondering what the difference was between the SRAM PC-89 and PC-99 hollowpin chains were. One is supposedly a road chain and one an MTB chain according the the SRAM site but I can't see any reason why a PC-89 couldn't be used on a mountain bike and and a PC-99 on a road bike. Are the plates different? Is there any variation in materails used? Would anyone care to enlighten me on this? Thanks in advance.
the pc-89hp has holes in the plates as well as the hollow pins, so it is a little bit lighter than the pc-99hp. I think that is the only difference, but I could be wrong. I've been using the 89 on a mtb for a while now with no problems.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Both can be used on a 9sp mtb or road drivetrain. Usually road specific chains end with a R ie PC-89R.

As VT Mike said, the PC89 has small holes on the plates plus hollow pins making it a bit lighter than the PC99 hollowpin. I've used the PC99 Hollowpin on my geared and on the singlespeed but took it out of the SS because it was breaking often. Since then I've been using PC-99 on all my bikes with no problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Explosif98 said:
Actually, there is a difference between the PC 89's... there is the PC-89R and the PC-89 Hollow Pin... which as you can guess has a hollow pin. The 89 Hollow Pin is also listed at 6.2mm wide, which would work with road bike 10 speed drivetrains. The 89R and 99 are listed at 6.9mm wide and the 99 hollow pin is listed at 6.4mm. The width difference is really just because the pins don't stick out as far from the plates on the hollow pin models.

Between the 89R and 99, the only difference is that the 89R has a small cut out in the outer plates so the total chain is like 7 grams lighter.

Here's some pics of the two....

The 89R first, then the 99

Attachments

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
[email protected] answer

Explosif98 said:
the difference is PC-10

·
Registered
85 Posts
How big are you??

If you are a big guy I would avoid the PC99 hollowpin, I have broken mine twice, and now use it as a emergency chain. Both times I pulled the pin out of the link. Great product, but not for the Clydes.

Explosif98 said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.