Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the difference between freeride and DH suspension is. I know freeride suspension is gear toward big hits and DH suspension is used to go fast over rough stuff. but is the difference noticeable, and what is it? any help would be great.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
i dont really know about the suspension. but one of the things that is diff is the geometry.

the DH bikes are alot more slacked out than the FR bikes

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well the differences may vary and overlap, mainly the biggest differences in the bikes will be geometry and front chainring/derailler compatibility.

I would like to say that in general, freeride bikes are more progressive and DH race bikes are more linear, both meeting up in the middle. But really from whats actually out there, both bike types have models that can be analogous in the amount of travel and the type of travel depending on the type of conditions they were created for, so really there is no blanket statement. The main difference is in bike geometry, where DH bikes may be slacker, longer and lower; again thats just a generally, sometimes the difference lies in what the manufacturer says its for.

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
zedro said:
well the differences may vary and overlap, mainly the biggest differences in the bikes will be geometry and front chainring/derailler compatibility.

I would like to say that in general, freeride bikes are more progressive and DH race bikes are more linear, both meeting up in the middle. But really from whats actually out there, both bike types have models that can be analogous in the amount of travel and the type of travel depending on the type of conditions they were created for, so really there is no blanket statement. The main difference is in bike geometry, where DH bikes may be slacker, longer and lower; again thats just a generally, sometimes the difference lies in what the manufacturer says its for.
ya,what he said.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks i appreciate the help. do u think a stinky's suspension is well suited for mainly DH and freeride with a little trails ridding?

·
Registered
29 Posts
the difference is

DH bikes like to stay to the ground therefore the bb is alot lower and in a freeriding world you will hit your pedals if you go up rocky stuff. DH and FR bikes both take drops well but it comes to jumps that FR really excel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts