Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a big difference between the two? i don't get it. my LBS tells me the Kona Stuff is a free rider, but their web page tells me its a dirt jumper.
Same sort of thing?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Kevin B said:
is there a big difference between the two? i don't get it. my LBS tells me the Kona Stuff is a free rider, but their web page tells me its a dirt jumper.
Same sort of thing?
Technically no, they are usually different kinds of bikes altogether.
A true dirt jumping bike wouldn't make a good freeriding bike because of different frame geometry (steep head angle) and lack of fork travel. They are usually more like a 26 inch bmx than anything.
A true freeriding hardtail bike usually has a slacker head angle than a dirt jumper resulting in a longer wheelbase and more stability at speed. And they will usually have longer travel forks as well.
However there are plenty of bikes that are capable of both and that can crossover into each category. Essentially you could do dj or freeride on any bike if you wanted to, but some tools are just better for the job at hand. Marketing requires separate categories and a 'cool' term for each respective category so don't think that just because a bike is called a dirt jumper or freerider that it can't do anything else. You can xc a freerider and even dj it, and a dirt jumper will handle xc and maybe a bit of freeriding as well. They just might not be as good as other bikes at doing it. (BTW an xc bike won't do either well at all!! :) )
It all depends on what you want to do with the bike.
What do you want out of a bike?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Mr. Plow. I wanted a bike to cruise the streets, take drop offs and hop over stuff on the way to the dj's, then take the long way home for a decent trail ride. nothing serious, just fun

i have a kona cowan i picked up today, and it feels like a very nice ride. hope it fits the bill for the above mentioned. i went for the 17.5" frame, since im 6'

·
Registered
649 Posts
Kevin B said:
Hey, Mr. Plow. I wanted a bike to cruise the streets, take drop offs and hop over stuff on the way to the dj's, then take the long way home for a decent trail ride. nothing serious, just fun

i have a kona cowan i picked up today, and it feels like a very nice ride. hope it fits the bill for the above mentioned. i went for the 17.5" frame, since im 6'
Sounds like a good buy, that bike will be sweet for all of that. Just get a quick release seatpost clamp if it hasn't already got one, makes adjusting the seat easy if you want to pedal a bit better on the trails.
I would have bought a smaller size though, i'm 5'10 and i kind of like a bike like that to be compact. Jumping a bigger bike feels a little awkward, but that's just my opinion.
You should have a blast though, congrats on the new ride!!! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey thanks heaps man. I have spent 7 years riding motocross, so i feel alot more comfortable on a larger bike. Dirt bikes are heaps tall and long compared to these things!
I also have a 35" inseem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.