Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - So... I've lost a bunch of weight and am thinking about looking at a Santa Cruz hardtail. I currently ride an older Trek xcalibur. My biggest complaint is that I originally bought the 17.5 frame size because I needed the reach to accommodate my size but the standover is right up against the ol nutsack :).
Just starting to look at some different options and I really like the looks of the Santa Cruz's. and their 28" standover would be perfect...
Anyone have any experience comparing the two?
Thx!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking the Chameleon or if the tax refund is good then a Highball :) . I just find it really hard to look at specs and say, yea!! this one will be better... Local bike shop won't have any to try out til late fall so just sort of musing here.

· Magically Delicious
14,230 Posts
You're correct, you can't decide what to buy based solely on specifications, but it provides the physical differences. It's a good place to start.

Deciding what is right for you boils down to personal differences, preferences and feel. And, no one can make that decision for you.

· Registered
15,312 Posts
A lot depends on what kind of terrain you ride and size depends on your height and actual inseam with shoes. Standover seems to be more important to guys who don't know how to get on a bike from the side. Reach is very important for when you're riding it up and down hills and over rocks/roots.

now that you've lost weight how do you get going on your bike?

Back to terrain and bike choice. . . Watch vids at YouTube channel Hardtail Party to see options.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
i coached my buddy into a giant fathom 2 29er 2021 model.
its an awesome bike with a great specification.
highly recommend the bike.

there is a model with 27.5" tires. this would provide a lower standover.

its also nearly half the price of a chameleon

plus it has a much stronger 34mm fork

· Registered
1,308 Posts
A lot depends on what kind of terrain you ride and size depends on your height and actual inseam with shoes. Standover seems to be more important to guys who don't know how to get on a bike from the side. Reach is very important for when you're riding it up and down hills and over rocks/roots.

now that you've lost weight how do you get going on your bike?

Back to terrain and bike choice. . . Watch vids at YouTube channel Hardtail Party to see options.
What? Standover on a mountain bike has more to do with what happens if you have to put your feet down than getting on and off the bike.If you have to do more than a dab with a foot, you really don't want your groin smacking off the top tube every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.