1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think it's usually on a label someplace :) as long as it fits your ass be happy, have seen a few mountain bike equipped with road saddles and my road bike has my old comfortable mtb saddle on it.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The difference is just marketing.

Many of my saddles have made the rounds on both road and mountain bikes.

Certain features are nice to have on a saddle used on a mountain bike. Stuff like reinforced fabric on the sides of the saddle, where it tends to hit the ground. Some features are a bad idea - superlight unobtainium rails, for example.

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Some people put road bike saddles on a mtb, usually the weight weenies. I've just noticed one difference in general, the true mtb saddles have more of a turned down tip, this is when you move up on the seat for a steep climb.

The specialized Phenom also has a small piece of plastic build in on the left and right sides - when the bike is down on the side (maybe due to a crash), the seat material will not tear.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone... now, anyone know how to measure the sitbone at home?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I think the ass-measuring business is a little bit of a gimmick.

But if you must do it... sheet of aluminum foil. You need to put it on something squishy, like a carpet or a mattress, but not too squishy or it won't show you anything.

Is your current saddle giving you trouble?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
Is your current saddle giving you trouble?
My bike came with a WTB Speed V. Ever since I've used it, my left leg has been going numb. This past weekend, I put on an old Bell mountain bike saddle I've had for years and my leg hasn't been going numb. So... I'm in search for a new saddle.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Ha!
use that old saddle. Or are you saving it for something?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
perttime said:
Ha!
use that old saddle. Or are you saving it for something?
Pulled it off a bike I'm selling. I guess I could use it and then sell the bike with the WTB Speed V.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Or you could take the old seat to local shops and see if they have anything very similar. I found my seat style by sitting on several different ones at a LBS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts