Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a repair stand. As much as I crash, I need something to help with the repairs. I have pretty much settled on the Ultimate.

The question is which model: Consumer or Pro? The Consumer (BRS-70B) seems to have most of the features as the Pro, but is about $50 less. Both have excellent reviews. So, what are the advantages of the Pro? I am willing to spend the extra bling, but I want to be sure that it is money well spent on more than just fancy paint.

Here is my usage profile:
- I'm not a racer (I got a million excuses)
- I don't travel much, but would like to
- I ride several times a week
- intended for mostly home/garage
- will use some in parking lots (rarely)
- must fold for storage
- convenience is important, or why bother

Thanks,

Jim

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
My usage profile is basically identical to yours. I have a BRS-70B and think it's great. I don't think you'd be dissapointed. Take the savings and pick up the tool tray.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yep, same profile here. picked up the consumer 70B about a year ago from performance w/ a coupon for ~$120 shipped. Not dissapointed in anyway.
Definitely get the 'new' tool tray- not too many online places stock it, so I ordered it direct from USS for about $32 shipped.
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/ussbike/product.asp?15659

Mr.Bob said:
My usage profile is basically identical to yours. I have a BRS-70B and think it's great. I don't think you'd be dissapointed. Take the savings and pick up the tool tray.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
The Pro has a fancy clamp and is red... I think that's all there is different. The consumer clamp isn't that much more difficult to operate... even a total weenie like me can hold a bike up for long enough to spin the clamp a few times and tighten it. Last time I looked Speedgoat had the BRS-70B for $125 shipped, which was better than any I found on eBay when I was looking to buy.

- Jen.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
The Pro uses heavier guage tubing. You'll find the pivots on the tripod mechanism to be built a bit beefier, and you'll also notice round tubing on the tripod legs.

There's the obvious difference in the head, but I tend to prefer the weighted spinner clamp found on the Consumer. You have got to check out the new head Ultimate is introducing on their high end stand, though -- it is simply amazing. It was all over the pits at Sea Otter and operates with the ease of a push-button. They've got something good there.

While there is no question the Pro is the more durable stand, I've happily owned and used the Consumer model for about 5 years now, and it supports my stable of bikes just fine. It has all the same heights and capacities of the Pro, and weighs in a little bit lighter, and will last you a lifetime if you treat your tools with the respect they deserve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.