Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly are the differances between the specialzed sx trail and the sx?

Can you change the shock on an SX trail down to a 100mm travel (and fork) and have a good slalom/flat dirt jump bike? 6.5 looks to squshy for slalom and flat dirt jumping (mean no decent in to the jumps).

Or add a 6.5 travel shock to the SX and a longer travel fork to make it a great dh/freeride bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
SX Trail = 167mm rear wheel travel
SX = 115mm rear wheel travel

Nope, as far as I know the geometry is different on both bikes and so you won't get the same ride even if you manage to squeeze in the longer\shorter shock.

I have both bikes and they are both really well suited to what they are made for.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
HiHoEskimo said:
What exactly are the differances between the specialzed sx trail and the sx?

Can you change the shock on an SX trail down to a 100mm travel (and fork) and have a good slalom/flat dirt jump bike? 6.5 looks to squshy for slalom and flat dirt jumping (mean no decent in to the jumps).

Or add a 6.5 travel shock to the SX and a longer travel fork to make it a great dh/freeride bike?

Thanks!
Completely different bikes (apart from looking nearly identical!)

I own an 05 SX, it has a 68 HA and 102mm rear travel from a 5thE Air. 06 frames onwards have 104mm travel from a Fox damper.

The only thing i dont like about my bike is the shock. Its valved for gated racing and has far too much platform for my taste. Im hoping to get an RP23 in there soon but cannot find an aftermarket shock with the stock numbers. Im therefore going to have to get same i2i with longer stroke, which means running a different shuttle to prevent the links from hitting the front triangle. I should get another inch of travel and with a longer fork on the front should keep the HA around the same nice and slack 68. My BB will get higher but for trail riding (what i use mine for) it should work out pretty good.

Either that or im gonna sell the bloody thing and buy an Iron Horse 6point to go with my Sunday.

If you are planning on buying one, buy 06 onwards and try an ride before you buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.