Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I gotta 2006 Kona Scrap that needs to go on a diet... Any ideas?

I'm pretty light at about 140 lbs. I like street riding and sometimes jumping. I also like street riding on BMX bikes.... So, the Scrap feel real Heavy!...

Where would you guys start?

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Well, the Kona Scrap in general is not meant to be a lightweight bike. If you are going to be hucking, riding pretty aggressive, and doing big drops, lightweight parts are NOT your friend. You want durable. If you wanted something for XC, a good XC bike would be a great place to start, and would probably start off about 5 pounds lighter. If you were to blow a lot of money and throw on some CrossMax's or something like that, you would break them if you are riding really aggressively on them.

If weight is still a big concern though, the easiest way to drop weight and still have a durable bike, is get rid of the suspension fork and put on a good solid rigid fork. Sure, you lose your suspension, but you get awesome handling, a bombproof front end, and you'll shave a little weight off your bike. To be honest though, if you want lightweight, get a different bike.

·
Registered
693 Posts
get rid of the suspension fork and put on a good solid rigid fork. Sure, you lose your suspension, but you get awesome handling, a bombproof front end, and you'll shave a little weight off your bike.
Having suspension is better than a "bomb-proof" rigid fork. Suspension at least stops you from casing yourself on bad landings and saves your writs from alot of pain.

As for the weight If you can spare the money get a new fork, If you dont have alot of money dont bother with the upgrades. You wont notice enough difference to make you get over the fact of that you spent to much money on little bits that change gears or a rim which is barely different than the one you just had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.