Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I gotta 2006 Kona Scrap that needs to go on a diet... Any ideas?

I'm pretty light at about 140 lbs. I like street riding and sometimes jumping. I also like street riding on BMX bikes.... So, the Scrap feel real Heavy!...

Where would you guys start?

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
You'll get used to the weight, a suspended and geared bike will always be heavier than a BMX.

Cheap weight saving solutions would be to run is as a singlespeed bike(save you roughly 2.5lbs), cut down excess seatpost.

Lighter tires could also help you, what type of riding do you do? We can maybe help you out with those.

Then comes a lighter wheelset, but that's expensive.

You can also change forks, even more expensive.

Saddle is also a good place to look.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of riding?...

Jumping off of stuff I find around town, almost 180's, jumping on to stuff, trying to get stoppies, wheelies, manuals, trying to do some trials stuff...

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
K-rads are the lightest of the bunch, but they offer very little flat resistance. Run them with high PSI. Holly Rollers the the heavyweights of the bunch, but they roll pretty good and last long.

Kiniptions are good in dry conditions only. I hate mine with a passion because they slip on anything and everything that isn't clean pavement. As soon as there is any loose or wet stuff on pavement they slip.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, I've taken off the spoke protector, bottle holder screws, reflectors...

Thinkin of lighter pedals... Whats strong, light and available in Bling?

Got Stans kit for my wheels.. Thinkin bout getin the Krad 1.95s. BMX bikes use 1.9s no prob, so 1.9s on a Scrap should be all right, right?

This is my first suspended bike, so for now I'm gonna get used to the fork before I change it someday. I ride motorcycles and motocross so suspension isnt new to me , but on a bicycle it is...

For sure wanna change the rock / seat!

And I wanna try Sram stuff... Any of u guys use any Sram stuff? How do u like it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What Sram do u use x7?

SS nope not for this bike. I go up hills and sometimes go far places on this bike. So, I wanna keep the gears but wanna trim down the weight. Been lookin into lighter cassette, derailers, shift levers...

Making the bike into a SS would lighten it up for sure... I'd like to ride a SS 26 incher someday.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I ride x.9 rear shifter and super short derailleur, 11-34 xtr cassette, wipperman connex 1x9 chain, e13 36t guide-ring, XTR housing, Saint cranks, and e13 chainguide.

You'll notice the most weight in rims/tires since it's rotational mass.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
fmf said:
What Sram do u use x7?

SS nope not for this bike. I go up hills and sometimes go far places on this bike. So, I wanna keep the gears but wanna trim down the weight. Been lookin into lighter cassette, derailers, shift levers...

Making the bike into a SS would lighten it up for sure... I'd like to ride a SS 26 incher someday.
this year's X.7 is the same as last years X.9, great deal. XT M760 cassettes can be had for cheap on ebay and are very light, with an aluminum carrier for the bigger cogs.

other than that, I don't know what the component spec is on your kona... you'll probably feel a nice improvement with the skinny krads, it should accelerate faster and easier, but won't have as much volume for "cush".

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
fmf said:
What Sram do u use x7?

The K-rads run small, so the 2.3 is actually more like 2.1 or even 2.0. I'd suggest going with that, it gives you a bit more air volume to protect your rims from flatspots.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heres the specs for the 2006 Scrap

Frame sizes 13"(XS), 15"(S), 15.5"(M), 17"(L), 17.5"(XL)
Frame tubing Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum
Fork Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro 100mm
Headset TH w/Big Nut
Crankarms TruVativ Hussefelt-Howitzer
Chainrings TV Rockguard /36/24
B/B TruVativ Hussefelt-Howitzer
Pedals Kona Jackshit
Chain Shimano CN-IG31
Freewheel Shimano CS-HG30 11-32 8 speed
F/D Shimano Alivio
R/D Shimano Alivio
Shifters Shimano Alivio
Handlebar TruVativ Hussefelt OS Riser
Stem TruVativ Hussefelt OS
Grips Cowan Signature
Brakes Hayes Sole
Brake Levers Hayes Sole
Front hub KK Disc
Rear hub Shimano FH-M475 disc
Spokes Stainless 14g
Tires Tioga Blue Dragon 26 x 2.3 front, 2.1
Rims Alex DM-24
Saddle Kona DJ
Seatpost TruVativ XR Double Clamp
Seat clamp Kona QR
Color Orange

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would first of all replace the Sole brakes, then followed by the tires, and the seat and seatpost (properly cut).[/QUOTE]

What would u replace the Sole brakes with? Seat?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.