Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I gotta 2006 Kona Scrap that needs to go on a diet... Any ideas?

I'm pretty light at about 140 lbs. I like street riding and sometimes jumping. I also like street riding on BMX bikes.... So, the Scrap feel real Heavy!...:confused:

Where would you guys start?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's a Kona....I love Kona frames...but their branded components and component selections on complete bikes are always on the burly side and not weight conscious at all. Best advice would be to strip the frame bare, keep the frame and start over. You can get lighter and stronger components easy. Though to be honest I'm not sure what a jump bike should weigh or where to cut weight beyond tires/tubes (as already said). It seems like those things should be fairly burly and thus heavy...

Weight savings and such for XC bikes might not help here.

But....
A new stem/bar will drop a few hundred grams over a stock Kona one. as will a seatpost/seat, a few hundred more. That's 300-400 grams most likely over stock Kona parts. Tires/tubes (most low/mid end Konas come with wire bead tires stock) that will be at least 200 grams. A new (lighter/stronger) wheelset will help (maybe drop another 300grams at least). Right there is about 2 pounds for $500'ish.

Then again on a jump bike are you really going to notice 2 pounds?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then again on a jump bike are you really going to notice 2 pounds?

Yeah sure! For me I use the bike to try and do 180's on the street, sometimes commuting - going up hills etc.

Its easier to do tricks on a lighter BMX bike.

My commuter (12 or so years old XC type mountain bike - rigid) is about 6-7 lbs lighter. Its so much easier to get up hills and manuver etc.

And thanks for the weight saving tips!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? Here I was I would do, note that it's not exactly cheap.

Fork Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro 100mm --> I'm not sure what makes a good jump fork, but if you went to a beefy XC fork like a Fox F100 or RockShox Reba you'd save a big chunk of weight.
Crankarms TruVativ Hussefelt-Howitzer --> Shimano XT
Chainrings TV Rockguard /36/24
Pedals Kona Jackshit
Chain Shimano CN-IG31
Freewheel Shimano CS-HG30 11-32 8 speed --> Shimano XT 9SPD
F/D Shimano Alivio
R/D Shimano Alivio --> SRAM X.7 or X.9
Shifters Shimano Alivio --> SRAM X.7 or X.9
Handlebar TruVativ Hussefelt OS Riser --> Easton EC70 Riser
Stem TruVativ Hussefelt OS --> Thomson Elite
Grips Cowan Signature
Brakes Hayes Sole --> Hope Mono Mini
Front hub KK Disc --> Hope Pro II or Shimano XT
Rear hub Shimano FH-M475 disc --> Hope Pro II or Shimano XT
Spokes Stainless 14g
Tires Tioga Blue Dragon 26 x 2.3 front, 2.1 --> If they are rigid wire bead swap to some maxxis folding bead street tyres.
Rims Alex DM-24 --> Mavic XC717
Saddle Kona DJ --> Probably heavy, I'm not sure what a good jump saddle is though
Seatpost TruVativ XR Double Clamp --> Thomson Elite
Seat clamp Kona QR --> Any kind of bolt up clamp

A lot of this stuff can be gotten at good prices from chainreactioncycles.com

I would start with the cranks then probably tyres/tubes, post/bars/stem, wheels... etc.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend :). Not to mention that if you were going to do all of the above simply buying a new bike might be a better idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.