Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just starting an evening stroll before dinner, around 6pm. I had a camera in my hand (naturally) and was leaning over taking a pic of something totally inconsequential.

Click! went the shutter as I looked up to see a bright iridescent green ball leaving a bright green trail behind streak from upper left down to the horizon directly east, right in front of me. I had an absolutely clear view and was looking right at it---while my camera was pointing down.

It took about 1/2 of a second to appear then it sort of broke up down near the distant house tops, and that was it. Of course, it was probably many miles east of where I was. The last one I saw was the typical white streak across the sky while I was gazing upward in Utah a few years ago. This one looked like fireworks and, in fact, was the color of the smiley emoticon at the end of this sentence :D

·
That's damn yankee to you
363 Posts
Wow I did see it over by Arvada. I couln't be sure it wasn't someone's weird firework but it looked just as you described it.

·
Aphonopelma Coloradanum
201 Posts
Probably one of the old mind-control satellites that they've recently replaced.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pics? You want pics? Here ya go

I had my vintage Canon SD700 with me. One of the best outdoor point and shoots I've ever owned. I have a ton of beautiful daylight shots from my trips to Utah with this camera.

So I thought I'd see how it would do in low evening light. I wasn't hoping for much, a camera like this has its limits. It did about like I expected which is why if I'm serious I take my DSLRs for low light stuff.

OK, I'm looking towards where I'm going to be walking. One pic. I turn around and the clouds are starting to turn color. Nice. I look up and an airplane is going overhead. Snap.

Then I for some reason think the ice on the pavement is worth capturing. So I bend down for a closer shot and CLICK. Notice the bluish-green tint on the right side? Is that the meteorite streaking directly in front of me? (edit: upon further review the greenish tint is from the lights on the garage. Oh well, it was a nice thought)

That's all I got because I glanced up as soon as I snapped the last pic and 1/2 second later it was over. That wasn't the camera I'd want if my goal was to spontaneously spot a scene worth capturing (waaaay too slow in low light to capture focus and shoot) so I'm actually OK with just the memory of that meteor rather than some crappy attempt at photographing it.

But, since you asked, here's also two pics from the South Mesa trail with this camera last October when winter was three months away.

And now I'm driving away to take over five hundred pics for my job. See ya.

I

·
0 Posts
It still, probably burned up before hitting the earth. Although, some small particles could have made it to the surface. I saw a similar occurrence in the San Luis Valley. Except the tail of the meteorite was a mile wide and went from horizon to horizon from over the San Juans and disappearing over the Sange de Cristos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts