Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remember right you used to be able to use VIP10 / VIP15 at checkout if you spent more than $200 / $300 I think.

I've got just over $300 in my cart and it doesn't seem to be working. Also tried a couple coupon code sites and nothing I found works.

Anyone have any luck recently, or are those days just over?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
They change monthly or every two weeks, but it's at the top of every email they send:

Our current coupon codes!
Good through June 4th!

PolarBearPack10: 10% off orders over $100
PolarBearPack15: 15% off orders over $300

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
They did last year.
There used to be a banner at the top of their home page that had current codes....that looks to be gone now too.
I get an email from them with current codes.....try this one, supposed to be good until 6/4
PolarBearPack15

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, they recently removed the codes and you have to subscribe to their email newsletter now to get them. They had an announcement on their site last week when I went to order some brakes.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
A bill was passed last year, with little coverage, requiring sales tax on internet sales.
The government has to pay for the tax cut bill somehow.

The large print giveth....and the small print taketh away.
Sales taxes are state taxes, fwiw.

Actually, collecting sales tax on internet orders was a much longer time coming than that. Amazon has been lobbying for the change for years. Since they have distribution centers practically everywhere now, they've been collecting sales tax for a long time. The smaller outfits with fewer distribution centers have been able to avoid sales tax and Amazon felt that it was costing them sales. So Amazon has been one of the bigger players in this lobbying. But the push predates even them, because many states were seeing lost revenue from sales tax collection, and many small business associations were seeing sales tax as one factor why they were losing sales to the internet. Most states had laws requiring people to self-pay these taxes annually, but the process of doing so was really quite onerous, so I don't think anybody actually paid them.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Sales taxes are state taxes, fwiw.
yes they are. But the Supreme Court ruled that states can audit and collect sales tax...even if the seller is not in the state. It was ruled and bill passed last August.

I sell advertising and marketing. Those were almost swept up in the bill...but got reworded out at the last minute.
I live close to the border of a state that has no sales tax. If a company from the non tax state advertises in the taxing state...it has to collect sales tax for people from the taxing state. Which gets ugly for small businesses.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
yes they are. But the Supreme Court ruled that states can audit and collect sales tax...even if the seller is not in the state. It was ruled and bill passed last August.

I sell advertising and marketing. Those were almost swept up in the bill...but got reworded out at the last minute.
I live close to the border of a state that has no sales tax. If a company from the non tax state advertises in the taxing state...it has to collect sales tax for people from the taxing state. Which gets ugly for small businesses.
My point was thar this has nothing to do with federal tax policy.

And also that this has been brewing for a lot of years.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Turns right, slides left
742 Posts
There are still good deals to be had at Universal. Last week I grabbed a XTR 9020 Trail crankset for $199 at Universal. I removed the two chainrings and added a Wolf Tooth Drop Stop chainring. That is not a lot of money for a very nice 1x crankset.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Their prices overall offset the tax aspect easily for me, and stock levels beat the heck out of the other outfits usually. It's clear they are also a warehouse for other competitors too because they hold the distribution rights and subsequently the lowest cost.

Thought about those XTR cranks too, but am sticking with my XT's since I can go down to 22t on the granny, and still run a triple if I want to.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
They will also typically price match anything. If you buy $300 worth of odds & ends with their 15% off...well I don't of anywhere else you can do that given their inventory as said.

·
West Chester, PA
5,006 Posts
If you subscribe to the newsletter they send you the current codes as soon as you hit the submit button.
These are good through 9/23-
WallabyMob10: 10% off orders over $100
WallabyMob15: 15% off orders over $300

As far as the tax issue goes, Jenson, CC, Backcountry and eBay are all charging tax now too. So it's a level playing field again. It's already helping local shops. I was going to order a santa cruz frame from CC but when I saw they were going to charge tax I called my local dealer and ordered through them instead.

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
To clarify, what online retailer offers free returns? I need to order several helmets and return the ones that don't fit. I don't know of any that currently do this, but please educate me.

No free returns + sales tax = better options elsewhere which ships faster at the same price

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
West Chester, PA
5,006 Posts
To clarify, what online retailer offers free returns? I need to order several helmets and return the ones that don't fit. I don't know of any that currently do this, but please educate me.
I'd like to know too. Amazon has free returns but charges tax. Zappos doesn't carry bike stuff. Those are the only 2 companies I can think of that do free returns

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
And it depends on Amazon. I recently ordered a helmet that was too large despite the stated size and the seller wanted me to pay for return as well as a 15% restocking fee. I don't much care about the sales tax.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.