Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding a Giant Roam, which is basically a hardtail with skinny 29 inch tires. At some point, I want to pick up something a little more rugged - maybe a normal size hardtail, but maybe a 29er. Just wanted to know if anyone who has been riding a 29er for a while has noticed a difference when they ride "normal" sized mountain bikes again.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
getagrip said:
I'm currently riding a Giant Roam, which is basically a hardtail with skinny 29 inch tires. At some point, I want to pick up something a little more rugged - maybe a normal size hardtail, but maybe a 29er. Just wanted to know if anyone who has been riding a 29er for a while has noticed a difference when they ride "normal" sized mountain bikes again.
No. All of my bikes have the same fit, regardless of wheel size. Basically feel the same when I am on them. Two of my 29ers--the Big Mama and the custom folder--have lower stand over than my 26" bikes. But that is not a factor in the saddle.

I do switch between bikes on a regular basis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently bought a ht 26er because it felt and rode 'big' like my two ht 29ers. The SO height is the same 32in between all three. It is a 21.5in frame compared to the 19in 29ers. There is a difference in the front ends due to handle bar width. I sit back more on the 29ers and more forward on the 26. The 25lb weight is the same in all three. The biggest difference is the tires 1.75 for the 26 and 2.1 and 2.3 for the 29ers. My mass transit cant accommodate 29ers, just 26 and 27 on the bus bike racks.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I own a Big Mama and and an On-One Scandal. I rode my friend's new Stumpjumper 26er Comp this past weekend and it felt fine for the most part. The only thing that took time to get used to was how much more unstable it felt over rocks and smaller trail obstacles.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes, 26er feel small... and after riding 29ers for 6 years now, I appreciate the things 26ers do better. 26ers are more nimble to me... they tend to fit me better....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm the same height up on my RIP9 and IH 7point3, saddle and bars setup the same, but geo is different so there's handling differences but other than that looking down while riding the tire size difference is very noticeable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.