Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or has he been booted from MTBR? Maybe I missed something but he has been very quiet lately. Just wondering.:confused:

·
1 bike per day + 1 or 2
264 Posts
I think he is veing very quiet. I did see a post just the other day but not much since. I did email him about some Carbon-Ti skewers but have not get an email back.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
i am alive...

well - i spent a week following an extrem biker through the swiss alps.

i was contacted from swiss television to act as motorcycle driver for the VJ to follow Swiss biker Lukas Stöckli on an extreme tour:
over 700km / 32'000 meters of altidute (or elevation? or what's the correct expression in english?) anyway - all in just 7 days.

we followed him over all those mountains (where possible) and there was also guys with helmcameras joining him on sections where you can't go with a motorcycle and a freerider on the DH sections...then there was a day where Thomas Frischknecht joined Lukas and they both went up to Breithorn (4165m). they went with spikes early in the morning so they were able to actually ride over the glacier...

you can see the videos that have been shown on swiss television here:
http://www.lukasstoeckli.ch/dynamic/page.asp?seiid=141

and here's the invdividual stages:
http://www.lukasstoeckli.ch/dynamic/page.asp?seiid=13

all i can say is that i was VERY,VERY impressed by Lukas. just to see the stages alone makes impression but now you should have seen the speed at which he did them: unbelievable!! Lukas is a former swiss MTB champion, was 5 years in the swiss national team and just won the european marathon championship in the master class...very,very fast even after 10-12 hours.

his bike was a rather "basic" Cannondale Carbon HT, for all stages except the one on the glacier he used a 11-25 Dura Ace cassette!!! there were loooong uphills with elevation of up to 2000m at once with ramps of over 30% and he still pedaled up with just a 25t in the back...unreal!

i had to ride parts of the alps where no motorcycle ever has been. you would get killed if they would see you with a 450 KTM up there...i had to ride to Theodulpass right at the base of the famous Matterhorn up to 3317m. i don't think a motorcycle has ever been up there;) that was something i will remember for the rest of my life. there's some memories from my MX-career but this definitely gets up there to my personal favourites. i never ever thought i could ride up there and i almost failed...but i finally did it. awesome!!!!

so all "moving" images are from the back of "my" KTM...if you listen closely you can hear the big thumper.

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank the lord you're safe and sound. I was worried there for a moment. ;) :D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Amazing he survived with it having disc brakes and all...

Seems like a great time Nino. I'm jealous.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slobberdoggy said:
And the Nokons clearly performed flawlessly aiding such an incredible ascent :D
Yes! You beat me to it. And on a Canondale and Lefty to boot! Who woulda thunk it.....:confused:

·
Registered
934 Posts
nino said:
i had to ride parts of the alps where no motorcycle ever has been. you would get killed if they would see you with a 450 KTM up there...i had to ride to Theodulpass right at the base of the famous Matterhorn up to 3317m. i don't think a motorcycle has ever been up there;)

so all "moving" images are from the back of "my" KTM...if you listen closely you can hear the big thumper.
So Swiss land has all this respect for the environment but a TV station can get permission to ride a motorcycle up there :madman: Oh well that's cool for you and the tv show I guess.

I don't have photo shop :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
nino said:
well - i spent a week following an extrem biker through the swiss alps.

i was contacted from swiss television to act as motorcycle driver for the VJ to follow Swiss biker Lukas Stöckli on an extreme tour:
over 700km / 32'000 meters of altidute (or elevation? or what's the correct expression in english?) anyway - all in just 7 days.

we followed him over all those mountains (where possible) and there was also guys with helmcameras joining him on sections where you can't go with a motorcycle and a freerider on the DH sections...then there was a day where Thomas Frischknecht joined Lukas and they both went up to Breithorn (4165m). they went with spikes early in the morning so they were able to actually ride over the glacier...

you can see the videos that have been shown on swiss television here:
http://www.lukasstoeckli.ch/dynamic/page.asp?seiid=141

and here's the invdividual stages:
http://www.lukasstoeckli.ch/dynamic/page.asp?seiid=13

all i can say is that i was VERY,VERY impressed by Lukas. just to see the stages alone makes impression but now you should have seen the speed at which he did them: unbelievable!! Lukas is a former swiss MTB champion, was 5 years in the swiss national team and just won the european marathon championship in the master class...very,very fast even after 10-12 hours.

his bike was a rather "basic" Cannondale Carbon HT, for all stages except the one on the glacier he used a 11-25 Dura Ace cassette!!! there were loooong uphills with elevation of up to 2000m at once with ramps of over 30% and he still pedaled up with just a 25t in the back...unreal!

i had to ride parts of the alps where no motorcycle ever has been. you would get killed if they would see you with a 450 KTM up there...i had to ride to Theodulpass right at the base of the famous Matterhorn up to 3317m. i don't think a motorcycle has ever been up there;) that was something i will remember for the rest of my life. there's some memories from my MX-career but this definitely gets up there to my personal favourites. i never ever thought i could ride up there and i almost failed...but i finally did it. awesome!!!!

Nino is finally photographed on a cool bike!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
bike..

MessagefromTate said:
Nino is finally photographed on a cool bike!
to be honest:
the bike stinks!!!
it was "heavy" (above 9 kilos), slow handling, slow rolling, weak brakes....sorry but i would never want such a bike.

BUT it goes to show that it's not the bike:D

i just got a picture by a photographer that shows me with the 2 main guys up at Theodul (3317m). i guess you all know the guy to the right;)

Attachments

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
nino said:
to be honest:
the bike stinks!!!
it was "heavy" (above 9 kilos), slow handling, slow rolling, weak brakes....sorry but i would never want such a bike.
I bet if it have V-Bakes it would have stopped better right? ;) :D

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
correct...

DIRT BOY said:
I get if it have V-Bakes it would have stopped better right? ;) :D
at least the bike he used with those Hope Discs was definitely one of the weaker brakes i tried. nevertheless he did all those rella steep alpine descents, sometimes up to 2000m of elevation at once so at least they never faded or caused any other trouble. but Lukas weighs just about 60 kilos so those brakes may have been sufficient for him. i on the other hand wouldn't want to start a downhill with those brakes...

i use 180/160 rotors on my winterbike along with super agressive EBC gold pads and that's what a good Discbrake should perform like;) that's definitely awesome stopping power.
but so far ALL standard brakes with 160 rotors i tried were weaker than my V's. just a simple fact.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
the guy on the right

nino said:
to be honest:
the bike stinks!!!

BUT it goes to show that it's not the bike:D

i just got a picture by a photographer that shows me with the 2 main guys up at Theodul (3317m). i guess you all know the guy to the right;)
is gettin slooooooooooooooooooooow, he can ONLY run around 6th-8th at the world cups now.:thumbsup:

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
nino said:
at least the bike he used with those Hope Discs was definitely one of the weaker brakes i tried. nevertheless he did all those rella steep alpine descents, sometimes up to 2000m of elevation at once so at least they never faded or caused any other trouble. but Lukas weighs just about 60 kilos so those brakes may have been sufficient for him. i on the other hand wouldn't want to start a downhill with those brakes...

i use 180/160 rotors on my winterbike along with super agressive EBC gold pads and that's what a good Discbrake should perform like;) that's definitely awesome stopping power.
but so far ALL standard brakes with 160 rotors i tried were weaker than my V's. just a simple fact.
I was talking about the Moto bike. I thought that's what the OP and you were saying and I was joking about.

Again we all have opinions like a$$holes. ;) I have had no issues with 160/160 and do thousands and thousands and thousands of others.

Not saying v-brakes are weak or crappier. It depends all on personal feelings.
Oh, 160/160 is also lighter!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Nokons...

Slobberdoggy said:
And the Nokons clearly performed flawlessly aiding such an incredible ascent :D
well - i wouldn't be Nino if i hadn't had an eye on them:D

that's what they looked like after just 4 days...no comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yes, the corrosion is plain fugly (doesn't seem to happen to black) but why it's all pulled out like that I don't know. Did the mech not tighten down the cable guides :confused: The same thing could happen to i-links I presume.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
they suck

Slobberdoggy said:
Yes, the corrosion is plain fugly (doesn't seem to happen to black) but why it's all pulled out like that I don't know. Did the mech not tighten down the cable guides :confused: The same thing could happen to i-links I presume.
sorry - nothing has been touched. Nokons suck big time.as simple as that. and as shift cables they are even heavier than 0815 shimano so i really, really can't understand why people spend money for them:madman:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts