Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
runawaymachine said:
Missy got 5 years because she "cooperated" with authorities. This means she ratted out her supplier. It might be healthier for Missy to leave the country. Snitches Get Stitches!
I agree! All the dealers selling to your kids should stick together, that way they can stay in business and sell more dope to your kids!

effing brilliant.

·
Registered
174 Posts
exsyle said:
I agree! All the dealers selling to your kids should stick together, that way they can stay in business and sell more dope to your kids!

effing brilliant.
So where exactly are you getting this information that Missy was selling to your kids? I don't know about you but I actually know people the sell marijuana, legal and otherwise. Not a single one of them would ever sell to a minor. You saying that all pot dealers are trying to sell to your kids is like saying that all alchohol companies are doing the same.

Do us a favor and talk about what you know, you obviously have no clue about the MJ black market.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
exsyle said:

effing brilliant.
All the better reason to pay more attention too "not my sweet little Johny, he's a good kid".:nono:

·
Registered
19 Posts
runawaymachine:

Hm. You seem to feel that the illicit drug trade is honorable and noble. Surely you're not blind to the fact that some peddlers DO in fact sell to minors ... just not your friends, I suppose. Do you know how much "hundreds of pounds" of MJ is? Neither Missy or anyone several steps up or down the distribution chain from her, or you or I, has any idea who the final buyer will be or what that person's age will be.

I guess some dealers are okay and should be left alone, by your standard. After all, they're good people who are scrupulous and ethical in their dealings, right? I wonder, then, why you feel it would be good for Missy's health to flee the country after "ratting out" her suppliers to the authorities?

Let me guess ... you were either kidding or it was somehow taken out of context?

For what it's worth, I agree with you ... she probably does need to look over her shoulder. But that just reinforces my point.

Don't be so presumptive in your assessment of others. I know quite a bit about the trade.

·
Registered
174 Posts
exsyle said:
runawaymachine:

Hm. You seem to feel that the illicit drug trade is honorable and noble. Surely you're not blind to the fact that some peddlers DO in fact sell to minors ... just not your friends, I suppose.
No I am not blind to that fact, rather I am more aware than most. My uncle was arrested this summer for smoking pot with a 16yo girl. He was a High School Security Guard, not a drug dealer. I never trusted the guy since I was a kid. I would put my life in the hands of my dope pedaling freinds without hesitation. I judge people on an individual basis.

I grew up in a town where the mayor, members of the sherrifs dept., lawyers, bankers, and realtors (and DEA agents) were implicated in a cocaine smuggling ring. This town was built on drug money. Corruption and bad intentions run through our society at all levels. From street dealers to world leaders, ethics are a personal choice and should be policed on every level. I simply contend that selling marijuana does not automatically make someone unethical.

exsyle said:
Do you know how much "hundreds of pounds" of MJ is? Neither Missy or anyone several steps up or down the distribution chain from her, or you or I, has any idea who the final buyer will be or what that person's age will be.
Yes I do know what hundreds of pounds of MJ is. Do you? The pesonal trust nature of the "illicit" MJ trade is the best way to ensure the end user is of age. Do you think that Budweiser knows where every beer they produce ends up?

Puhleease!

exsyle said:
I guess some dealers are okay and should be left alone, by your standard. After all, they're good people who are scrupulous and ethical in their dealings, right?
Exactly. Thankfully your kids generation is more likely to see this as such than you are. When they come of voting age 'recreational marijuana' will be the new meam.

exsyle said:
I wonder, then, why you feel it would be good for Missy's health to flee the country after "ratting out" her suppliers to the authorities?
Because any black market is self policing. It is really quite efficient, no taxpayer money needed. If you rat someone out chances are you will still be going to jail, where justice will be served to you by your fellow inmates. Missys best chance is to run, or she might "fall" like Madoff.

exsyle said:
Let me guess ... you were either kidding or it was somehow taken out of context?
Nope.

exsyle said:
For what it's worth, I agree with you ... she probably does need to look over her shoulder. But that just reinforces my point.
What is your point? That all MJ dealers should be prosecuted because a few are unethical enough to sell to your children?

exsyle said:
Don't be so presumptive in your assessment of others. I know quite a bit about the trade.
You are the one presuming to know that all dealers are selling to your kids by sticking together. What you know about the trade seems to be gross generalities. Are you a Cop?

You're generalizations are plain prejudice. When YOUR children are in charge of this nation I hope they are more open minded than you Exile.

Sorry about the rant, I'm out of weed.:D

Missy is an adult capable of understanding the risks involved in her career, whether it be downhilling or smuggling. When she decided to roll over to get a shortened sentence she betrayed the trust of her business partners. She has made her freedom more important than that of the supplier. Unfortunately for her the supplier might disagree.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This has gone far past the point of the OP so I'll just wrap with a few comments that don't take half the page with quotes. Where societies draw the line between what is legal and not varies from one to another. I personally have no particular beef with pot as a substance and I don't see it as a gateway anymore than I do alcohol. Move the line of law one way or another, however, and you make zero difference in people. They'll just find a new way to sell something illegal. If pot is legalized, people like Missy will smuggle meth or coke or heroin ... whatever the drug in demand happens to be at the time they'll find a way to exploit those who abuse it. Smuggling or selling drugs is the exact opposite of ethical behavior; people who do so self-define themselves as folks who will assist in the downfall of others for their own financial benefit. The fact that we're talking pot here is irrelevant; if pot were legalized, black market purveyors would not suddenly go legit, they'd peddle another illegal ware, just as the mafia had to adjust at the end of prohibition. History has a way of repeating itself and teaching lessons to those wise enough to study it.

I agree with you that the black market is self-policing, but again this is just another example of what a self-centered view of the world it is to agree with such a system. The market polices itself, but everyone else is screwed. The body count of headless corpses on the streets of Mexico (have you seen the pictures of kids next to them?), the dead babies at the hands of drive-by gang shooters in American metropolises, these are the end results of a self-policing black market system that goes unchecked. If you prefer this system, where the dealers police themselves with little to no interference from the government, there are certainly countries with weaker authorities where you can find satisfaction. I'd rather be able to walk outside peacefully. I rather suspect that you will not be trading the relative safety of this society for one in which the mob rules anytime soon, either.

Comparing the illicit sale of pot to one of the most regulated industries, alcohol, is so beyond reason that I find it difficult to respond to.

If you somehow inferred that I'm angry about my kids having been sold pot, that's a mistake. I used the word "your" (not "my") to hopefully instill a personal sense of the dangers of slippery slopes and how they can affect the reader personally. I see that in at least one case, this effort fell on blind eyes. When the next generation is running the nation, my own hope is that they will be able to see a bigger picture than the narrow view you portray.

I think we can agree that we've highjacked this thread enough. I'm sure you'd like to get the last word in so go ahead ... I'm done. It's been a pleasure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
runawaymachine said:
Missy got 5 years because she "cooperated" with authorities. This means she ratted out her supplier. It might be healthier for Missy to leave the country. Snitches Get Stitches!
I don't necessarily agree with the "snitches get stitches" but I am pretty sure that cooperating with authorities when 300lbs (do I recall that correctly? maybe not....) is involved is very VERY bad for your health and future well being. She won't be able to open enough lunch boxes in prison to make that one go away. I'd expect someone to be coming after her. Time will tell.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
sherlock50 said:
Is this a thread about Mary Jane or Missy? I teach high school seniors so I know Mary Jane as one of the unofficial students. But who the devil is Missy?
The only way this topic is somewhat related to our sport: Missy Giove is an oldschool professional DH racer.

·
Registered
464 Posts
And a damn good one at that too. Came from the beginning of the DH revolution when being a DH'er was like being a snowboarder in the Ski world. F' the World mentality. She had balls the size of Watermelons and pinned it through the WC stages and life.

I'd say the only reason she ended up in this predicament is because she couldn't find another way to get her adrenaline fix and make money at the same time. This was one of the ways.

If MJ was legal, we could make sure kids don't get it and it wouldn't ruin lives like Missy's. But Missy being Missy probably would have found another way to get her crazy adrenaline fix, and there is no saying if that would have been legal or not.

I have a great fondness for people like Missy, Shaun Palmer, Travis Pastrana, Colin McRae...people that just push the envelope in every aspect. Doesn't always turn out the best for them (see McCrae and Missy), but I just enjoy watching their enthusiasm for adrenalin and craziness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.