Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a LITTLE bit of roller riding over the winter. Not nearly what I'd have liked to (maybe 15 miles once a week). Went out the last 3 nights and put no less than 12 miles of pavement under my wheels each night (while pulling my son in his trailer). I've got a multi-day ride coming up in June that I want to make sure my legs can handle.

My legs haven't been sore AT ALL (which was a bit of a surprise). I've been putting down 1-1.5G of water/hour while I was riding. It's been 60-70F when I'm out riding.

I felt GREAT when I was out riding tonight. About a half hour after I got back, I started feeling nauseaus, i'm all congested and feel like I've got a sinus infection coming on. And I just generally feel REALLY shitty. Am I JUST sick? Is it possible I've overworked myself already? Is it time to see a doctor and ask WTF?

·
Registered
301 Posts
simoriah said:
I did a LITTLE bit of roller riding over the winter. Not nearly what I'd have liked to (maybe 15 miles once a week). Went out the last 3 nights and put no less than 12 miles of pavement under my wheels each night (while pulling my son in his trailer). I've got a multi-day ride coming up in June that I want to make sure my legs can handle.
My legs haven't been sore AT ALL (which was a bit of a surprise). I've been putting down 1-1.5G of water/hour while I was riding. It's been 60-70F when I'm out riding.
I felt GREAT when I was out riding tonight. About a half hour after I got back, I started feeling nauseaus, i'm all congested and feel like I've got a sinus infection coming on. And I just generally feel REALLY shitty. Am I JUST sick? Is it possible I've overworked myself already? Is it time to see a doctor and ask WTF?
Maybe 1-1.5 Gallons of water per hour contributed to the nausea? That seems like A LOT of water to me. What did you eat when you came in off the bike? That may have something to do with the nausea as well. I wouldn't attribute your sinus infection and congestion to overtraining, however if you are coming in contact with lots of people shortly after you ride, that could be a potential culprit as your immune system's ability to fight infection is lowered. Also, the cool weather could be a problem, if it is close to 60F and windy, typically I'll wear a light wind shell to keep the wind off my chest and stay a bit warmer.

I think you'll be fine, but definitely be mindful of the sinus infection/congestion and as long as it stays in your head spin lightly, but if it moves lower into your chest do not ride. Just use your head, if you don't feel up to riding then don't. You've got time to come around, just work hard on getting over the illness. Good luck.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Few people know of this, and I don't think you were suffering from this, but there is such thing as water intoxication, or HYPONATREMIA.
Hyponatremia isn't unique to the military. Indeed, marathon runners, tri-athletes, even high-desert hikers all can succumb. "Most people aren't aware of the risk of drinking too much water," said Bob Murray, director of Gatorade Sports Science Institute. Sport drinks are engineered to replace both salt and fluids depleted during exercise. Drinking sports drinks can help; but it alone can't maintain adequate sodium levels for people engaging in rigorous, endurance-level activity.

The point is you need to replenish not only the fluids you lose when you sweat, but the salt as well. Nothing that comes out of your body is pure water. So you've got to replace it with both the salt and water, Not Just Water.

Water Intoxication typically occurs over 4 to 6 hours or more. It attacks participants in High-Endurance events, such as marathons, long road marches and triathlons in which participants swim, bicycle and run long distances in non-stop succession.
Now I'm not trying to scare anyone, it's just that few people know of this fact. It's just ironic that this was brought up, because my teammates and I were just talking about this fact at practice (collegiate varsity cross country/track)...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fraturnaty Death

A local fraturnaty student (Chico CA) student was recenty killed during the "hazing" by being force to drink huge amounts of water and working out. Eight fraturnaty members are being charged.

DFH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
simoriah said:
Am I JUST sick? Is it possible I've overworked myself already? Is it time to see a doctor and ask WTF?
I got home from work today. Mom says, "Your eyes are glassy. Are you coming down with the adenovirus your dad and I got?"

Seems as though my questions were just answered. <sigh>

... Now for a week (or more) of feeling shitty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.