Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. There's an arrow on the adaptor that needs to point up or in the direction of disc rotation. Flip it around with the tall part on the top post mount along with the the long caliper bolt too. 馃憣
Urgh, how did my dumb ass manage to miss that big arrow on the adaptor... Thanks for letting me know!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don鈥檛 sweat it, happens to the best of us besides you were smart and asked.
I really appreciate the quick, helpful and measured responses, not like in a certain other MTB forum I used to frequent, where you would just be made fun of for a "stupid" question like that...

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
I cant believe Sparticus let this 鈥渄umbass鈥 off the hook. Public Shame on BOTH of you! Just kidding, but it sounded like you wanted to be flogged publicly. Yeah, the peanut gallery here can be tough, but if you want to be really demoralized, post that on Pinkbike, those guys鈥 comments are brutal ! You are not a dumbass, you are learning. BTW, my friend just did upside down adapter AND rode it. He had sent me a vid of weird sounding rotor but I was too busy at work to watch it. Good on you for using MTBR in a super positive Way to catch it before hand. Lets see how long this thread can be positive and funny.

Registered
Out of curiousity though: Why does this matter and what can happen when you mount it the wrong way? The alignment doesn't even seem that different.
Rotor could contact the break housing, sometimes the pads won鈥檛 contact the entire portion of the rotor that they should which would result in less breaking power, uneven wear on the pads and rotor.

Evolutionsverlierer
I really appreciate the quick, helpful and measured responses, not like in a certain other MTB forum I used to frequent, where you would just be made fun of for a "stupid" question like that...
As it was said before they will come but like in real life you will figure out who are the ones you might want to listen to or not.

Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Rotor could contact the break housing, sometimes the pads won鈥檛 contact the entire portion of the rotor that they should which would result in less breaking power, uneven wear on the pads and rotor.
This is right on. It鈥檚 critical that the brake pads and the brake track on the rotor line up optimally.
If, say, the top part of the pads overhang the outside of the rotor鈥檚 brake track, even a little, then the sections of pads that don鈥檛 wear down could eventually meet which could keep the remainder of the pads from clamping the rotor optimally.
Fortunately this can鈥檛 happen on the bottom of the pads because the rotor spokes grind that part of the pad at the same rate that the rotor鈥檚 brake track does. But if the caliper is mounted even slightly too low, the outer edge of the rotor might contact the caliper. That鈥榮 a close tolerance scenario right there.
Not to mention a reduction in braking power in either situation, as ryanmj already pointed out.
=sParty

Registered
Out of curiousity though: Why does this matter and what can happen when you mount it the wrong way? The alignment doesn't even seem that different.
As the rotor size increases, the radius also changes. Radius = Diameter / 2. It's not enough to space the caliper out equally as it also needs to compensate for this change in radius. It translates to what the other guys mentioned. Full pad contact and clearance.

Registered
In all fairness the OP made it super easy for us to help diagnose the problem. Along with a clear picture of the potential issue.

And it also sounds like the OP is going to correct the problem. Unlike some (l)users here that ask a question, get a majority of answers they don't like, then proceed to tell everyone they are wrong lol.

Evolutionsverlierer
In all fairness the OP made it super easy for us to help diagnose the problem. Along with a clear picture of the potential issue.

And it also sounds like the OP is going to correct the problem. Unlike some (l)users here that ask a question, get a majority of answers they don't like, then proceed to tell everyone they are wrong lol.
I wonder who think of. 馃槢

Registered

Wait a minute... I'm new here and already experienced this lol. Does that mean it's common?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.