Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old hard tail that was upgraded a little and the other day I took it out for a spin and the travel adjustable rock shox duke c got stuck almost fully compressed (below 60mm of travel).

I thought I’d fix it today and while taking it apart I noticed that the damper want screwed into the bottom bolt. I figured I’d just use a longer bolt to pull it closer and then screw in the regular bolt. Well now I can’t remove the bolt, it’s just spins. The whole spring was taken out but the damper remains inside and I see no way to get it out.

I only care because I was going to sell this to someone as a gravel bike.

Any ideas?

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire White

·
Registered
850 Posts
Maybe... probably going to need some better pics and more accurate description to figure this one out. You're saying "damper" but I don't think there's a damper on that side of the fork.

You said you were going to take the fork apart -- did you take it apart?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, sorry I am most likely messing up the terms. I’ve taken this shock apart before and on the left side is the spring and what looks like a plunger with a threaded end on it that a bolt (like the one shown in the pic shows) goes through.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah, that part should be attached the spring when you remove the top cap of the disc-side of the fork. YOu're going to have to figure out how to either remove that screw or reattach the spring to the damper.

·
Registered
850 Posts
OK, so you're just trying to get the bolt out...

You might try putting an impact driver on it (the 1/4" hex kind used for installing screws, not a an impact wrench).

Or try having someone put their weight onto the fork while you attempt to loosen the bolt, or both.

If that doesn't work, I think you could cut off the head of the bolt (Dremel, hacksaw) and that at least would let you take the fork apart.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so you're just trying to get the bolt out...

You might try putting an impact driver on it (the 1/4" hex kind used for installing screws, not a an impact wrench).

Or try having someone put their weight onto the fork while you attempt to loosen the bolt, or both.

If that doesn't work, I think you could cut off the head of the bolt (Dremel, hacksaw) and that at least would let you take the fork apart.
Nice!! I didn’t even think about just cutting the bolt off.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts